kick limit

It is what it says on the tin.

kick limit

Postby LaggerMet » July 29th, 2019, 6:49 am

Yo,
The new update introduced a new feature, kick limit. It's purpose if of course to fight macro.
I think the league should enforce a kick limit, but there's a big question on how to figure out this number, because it should be high enough to not limit the regular spam.
The disadvantage is that even then macro is still giving an advantage, because it will let you always spam in the limit rate while normal players won't be able to do that. But I think its better than having macro players consistently being stronger than normal players.

I will try to make some experiments using this feature and offer a number here, If you guys can do the same it will probably be helpful.
I don't have a hope macro users will have some decency at least here and won't try to push for a higher limit, but I do hope we as a community can figure out these weird numbers and filter them out...

LaggerMet

News Articles: 0

Re: kick limit

Postby socrates » July 29th, 2019, 6:52 am

My worry is that even normally it is possible to spam at the lowest limit haxball detects. Even for players that suck at spam like in pablo.

This means that no matter what number is set it will still affect regular players.

That being said imo spam is not a fun part of the game and it would be fun to try this even if it affects regular spam too.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby B4D4SS » July 29th, 2019, 12:33 pm

A kick limit is very interesting because positioning, momentum and angle will become more important. That's much more thoughtful and higher skill ceiling than simply being able to press your keyboard quickly to win a spam. I like it

B4D4SS

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby jasko » July 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Limit the kicks to 10-12 per second and make everyone play smarter instead of harder. A lot of better players will still be winning the spam battles against weaker players and macro abusers won't have such an unfair advantage anymore.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
jasko

Postby socrates » July 29th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Code: Select all
/kick_ratelimit <min> <rate> <burst>
Set's the room's ball-kick ratelimit.

min is the minimum number of logic-frames between two kicks. It is impossible to kick faster than this.

rate works like min but lets players save up extra kicks to use them later depending on the value of burst.

burst is how many extra kicks a player can save up.

Example: /kick_ratelimit 2 15 3 If a player spams kick he'll kick every 2 frames for the first 4 kicks and after that he'll be limited to one kick every 15 frames ( which is 4 kicks per second ). If the player doesn't kick for 1 second he'll save enough for another burst of 4 kicks.

What do people think? Is this something FM could use in future?

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby P4ER » July 29th, 2019, 5:41 pm

I think you should talk to the experts on Insanity about the limit.

P4ER

Postby Nocke » July 29th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Something to counter macro should definitely be implemented, and this seems to be the best solution yet. Applications have been suggested in the past but people's PCs could be at stake depending on who creates the program. However this feature is implemented directly in the game. So, a big yes from me - this is something that FM could use in the future, if not the near future.

Spoiler: Show
Nocke

Postby Raduu » August 5th, 2019, 10:43 pm

would be a good idea

Raduu

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby Di Maria » August 16th, 2019, 8:26 am

It's a good idea and better than nothing but it won't completely solve the problem, cheaters will always find a way to cheat. I think that the best way to deal with macros is set some judges that will get complaints about macro users and then watch their replays and judge together by this player's tackle situations whether he was legit or not. And in case found guilty ban of course without no second chances.

Di Maria

Postby Anddy » August 16th, 2019, 8:33 am

We were playing vs a team
One of their player was dumbly spamming in the corner
I enabled the tool
He wasn't spamming in the same way
Weird !!!

Anddy

Postby Soul » August 16th, 2019, 8:58 am

Anddy wrote:We were playing vs a team
One of their player was dumbly spamming in the corner
I enabled the tool
He wasn't spamming in the same way
Weird !!!

@Nub , oops, sorry :D:D:D

Soul

Postby Nub » August 16th, 2019, 9:19 am

At this point i get blamed for macro almost daily although i've explained multiple times that i have no need to use macro.Just because some people can't spam as fast they start blaming other people for macro , moreover I've provided a lot of players footage of me spamming and I was even down to let people come via teamviewer to check for themselves. @soul :D :D

Nub

Postby Di Maria » August 16th, 2019, 10:19 am

Nub wrote:At this point i get blamed for macro almost daily although i've explained multiple times that i have no need to use macro.Just because some people can't spam as fast they start blaming other people for macro , moreover I've provided a lot of players footage of me spamming and I was even down to let people come via teamviewer to check for themselves. @soul :D :D

I don't know you and never saw you play, but I will talk about other macro users i've seen which their excuse was that they just "click fast", because they won't admit they're cheating of course. In haxball all the players are the same. Every one has the same speed, shoot power, tackle power and etc. Also we are all human and have the same human fingers. There is a limit to "clicking fast". Sometimes you see players spam the ball like it's impossible no matter how fast you click. When it's macro you just see it's macro, unless you are dumb and started to play 2 days ago. So to the all macro users out there - no, we not buying that. When you use macro we notice that. I will never understand how you can be satisfied when you win from cheating, it's not you who won the match it's your software, probably without it they would kick you in the ass. It's like playing counter strike with wall hack aimbot and such and spraying everybody's ass and thinking you're a pro but truth is you SUCK. Because you probably realized you're just not good enough but instead of trying to get better you decided to cheat and play ugly. yuck.

Di Maria

Postby jasko » August 16th, 2019, 1:35 pm

We have some time before the new season starts to decide on what the limit should be and to start enforcing it. It's available, there's no reason to not use it.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
jasko

Postby LaggerMet » August 16th, 2019, 1:47 pm

from my testings i didnt find a comfortable setting for the kick limit rate so idk...

LaggerMet

Postby Soul » August 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm

6 3 3 looks good

Soul

Postby selet » August 17th, 2019, 1:50 am

Nub wrote:At this point i get blamed for macro almost daily although i've explained multiple times that i have no need to use macro.Just because some people can't spam as fast they start blaming other people for macro , moreover I've provided a lot of players footage of me spamming and I was even down to let people come via teamviewer to check for themselves. @soul :D :D

AHAHAHAH

some bonk io players asked me if i was using macro, and they said that they learned what is macro from you because you use in haxball :D :D

so weirdddd

selet

Postby Nub » August 17th, 2019, 8:42 am

selet wrote:

AHAHAHAH

some bonk io players asked me if i was using macro, and they said that they learned what is macro from you because you use in haxball :D :D

so weirdddd

I have never mentioned macro on bonk io nor have I said that I ever used macro so I have no idea where you’re getting that info from , and FYI people knew what macro was on that game before I started playing ,moreover when I was still active they used to accuse everyone of macro as a meme hence accusing you of macro (although you don’t have one ?) so yes It’s the same problem there you get accused of macro if you spam faster than most players.
And as I said a lot of players have proof that I don’t macro so maybe you should stop believing what everyone is saying on my behalf.
Get your facts right next time.

Nub

Postby DEVS_VVLT » August 17th, 2019, 9:20 am

selet wrote:

AHAHAHAH

so weirdddd

Wow I'm convinced now that nub uses macro!!!! Damning evidence!!1!!!!!

DEVS_VVLT

Postby Masa » August 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

I am totally in favor of fighting macro in the game but please do it wisely. If you let players such as BADASS or Jasko to take care of it, they will leave us with one click on minute "to make game more tactic" lmao.

Masa

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Next

Return to League Discussion