Would you like TuT to come back?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 30

Turnup Turnips teamspeak petition

Postby Hannes » December 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm

TurnUpTurnips has switched their coms mainly to discord. Anyone else interested in them coming back to teamspeak.

I can help finding the entry door.

Hannes

News Articles: 26
Betting Coins: 200

Cup Runner-up: Season 4

Re: Turnup Turnips teamspeak petition

Postby Unique » December 19th, 2017, 10:31 pm

TS > Discord..

Unique

News Articles: 0

Postby salamini » December 20th, 2017, 1:11 am

We do use TeamSpeak to come search friendlies and matches. The reason we went discord mainly is that I somehow lured the whole team into discord and they liked it. I did not mean to start any flame battle between discord and ts. I am not promoting the change from TeamSpeak to discord.

I am interested if the admins of this community would agree to make an "official" discord server. I do not see the harm that it would cause the community. If you think it would be somewhat harmful, then please elaborate

As a player part of the community I did not feel TeamSpeak offered much interaction between the community and that is why I believe TuT players switched to using discord since it did not make much difference. Making a discord server for FM league would better interaction between the discord using community, which would not rule out the TeamSpeak.

To conclude this I'd just ask you to point out the things why fm discord server is bad and if the admins wont get behind this then I will make some euro haxball server for players that are already using it.

salamini

Postby socrates » December 20th, 2017, 9:02 am

salamini wrote:I am interested if the admins of this community would agree to make an "official" discord server. I do not see the harm that it would cause the community. If you think it would be somewhat harmful, then please elaborate.

To conclude this I'd just ask you to point out the things why fm discord server is bad and if the admins wont get behind this then I will make some euro haxball server for players that are already using it.

I think the harm is people using discord but not ts. It splits the community. I like to speak with players from TuT, I also like to speak with other members of FM that only use TS. It requires everyone to download 2 applications and I don't want to do that.

I don't mind an official FM discord but everyone still must use TS if that's the official server. It sucks that TuT choose not to.

If discord is so much better then maybe we should switch entire FM server there. But I don't think there is a big demand for that. What are the features that make discord better?

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby salamini » December 20th, 2017, 9:25 am

socrates wrote:What are the features that make discord better?

1. Channels are different in discord. You are not in one channel. You can see all the channels that you have permission to. This would allow central public chat channels for the community on top of the private ones.
2. Servers are free.
3. Texts are logged to the server so when you disconnect you still can see everything that has been written.
4. Don't even have to download the application, because you can use it in browser.
5. Mobile application is free.
6. Chat has more advanced features like previewing links.

One bad thing about the official discord app is that it uses more cpu and ram than the TeamSpeak. Other is channels don't really have easily visible description box like in TS.

Splitting the community is a fair point. However I personally did not feel much interaction between members of this community in TS and I thought discord would make it easier. I think it is mainly these forums allowing some interaction between teams and members that is keeping us together at the moment

salamini

Postby socrates » December 20th, 2017, 9:41 am

Hmm those features seem good. I would be happy to try it but I think it should be all or none. Unless the whole community uses discord rather than TS it really really sucks imo.

Just looking at screenshots online it doesn't seem like the best layout for if we moved the whole community there. Would be too many channels? Either way I think it will be hard to convince whole community to change (see HTML).

I really hope that it doesn't become split. Even if the interaction isn't always there on TS it is sometimes. Whether its asking someone to help out in fs, linking pubs/streams/forum posts in community tab or just having random conversation with someone. These all get lost when the community isn't in the same place. Imagine if a different team preferred Skype, and another team wants whatsapp.

I understand that discord is better for TuT but for me it harms the league as a whole unless we all change to use it.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby EdinsonCavani » December 20th, 2017, 9:52 am

Discord's main problem is the graphic, it's so primary and not so enjoyable :no:

EdinsonCavani

Postby Flash9 » December 20th, 2017, 11:07 am

Fk tut

Flash9

Position: Forward

Postby Herna » December 20th, 2017, 11:31 am

The thing is that salamini just asked to make an official FM discord server and noone can say that would make interaction between teams worse.

When im in teamspeak i mostly just sit in my channel anyway, i can join maybe some other teams channel and write to them, but most of them are password locked anyway, so most players cant, so i wonder where is the interaction between people on teamspeak?
Its pming people and watching them sitting in their own channels and thats mainly it.

Once a person would have joined an official FM discord server, he would be able to see who else is online, would be able to pm them like in teamspeak if they would want to.
But in addition to that, there would be possibility for a community-wide chat, similar to the fm-chat, just easier accessible and better to use with the phone-app, channels for fs searching you dont have to join just for searching as you always see all messages written in there, channels admins can announce things in, even with a "poke"-like mentioning of all people on the server, for example for stream links and stuff. Everything can be easily muted or whatever.

That just for the theory of everyone going on there, what i personally wouldnt want aswell, i just want to counter it making the interaction between people worse. I think salamini just wanted to know if its worth the effort to have a server for fm-players, which alone cant make any interaction worse.

And if you want TuT to come back mainly on teamspeak its impossible if people like it much more in our actual home, its just much more colorful and happy, but i often go to the teamspeak, if anyone wants to talk to anyone of us its one click on a link in our channel description, not more, thats the same effort as of just doubleclicking any of our names or joining the channel.

Youre right that the problem is the splitting to different places, but we dont want to make trouble to anyone, I use the TS often still and join it whenever i feel like thinking about haxball, and anyone else does aswell i guess. People who care for it will always come to the place where the heart of the community sits and thats what matters!!

Herna

News Articles: 27

Postby Hannes » December 21st, 2017, 5:12 pm

Im aware you dont intend to split the community but thats exactly whats happening. You seperating yourself in your own room, giving nobody the chance to talk to you (yes i sometimes actually feel like talking to TuTplayers).
I think community should mostly be in one place.
I dont want a FM discord.
Also i have concerns about discord technique being any better than teamspeak.
afaik ts has more advanced rights system, more options for groups, more channels tree options.
the ts server belongs to FM itself, not relying on official discord server.
ts should be mord safe. you cant really clearly identify users on discord, banning people for example.
do you need that glaring looks of discord. i prefer nice and simple ts looks but having more possibilites.

Hannes

Postby MrP » December 21st, 2017, 6:09 pm

Imo its retarded that u dont use ts anymore. I often want to talk to nearly every tut player and now u arnt online anymore. Idk the real reason and im tiered of reading these alibi reasons but imagine just 1 thing: if noone joins ts anymore then we can close the league. tut can create their own discord haxball league then gg hf. I try for years now to make the ts active for alot of reasons but well..

MrP

News Articles: 32

Division 1 Winner: Season 8

Postby Herna » December 21st, 2017, 6:29 pm

TuT's a team who's players mostly participate at all kind of fm games like fantasy and betting, write in the forum, care for the community, play with other teams by times, fs regulary and so on. Thats imo what matters, nothing else.

And i dont know what you mean with alibi reasons, the simple reason why we are there is once we had created it as the ts server was down, noone wanted to go to the teamspeak anymore because they all just liked it more there, nothing else. dont be annoyed at us.

And yes Hannes we need that because smileys and pictures just make our life happier!

Anyway you make a way too big thing out of it, nothing changed to before, we are sry our names dont appear in the channel list regulary anymore but thats just how it is. sala wanted to do something for the league and we all react with big discussion and make him feel bad :(

Herna

News Articles: 27

Postby Rénbeaudach » December 22nd, 2017, 1:02 pm

MrP and Hannes I love you but I really have to disagree with you on this - Herna, Sala et al. are right as far as I can see.

Hannes wrote:you cant really clearly identify users on discord, banning people for example.

You can do it just as well as on TS - each user has a unique ID attached to them that can be kicked and banned just as you would normally.

I've been part of the SPHB discord for a few months it's it's honestly miles better for discussion and chat in general across the community - the discord format is much better for encouraging people to talk to easy other beyond just poking for fs and matchdays - there's no artificial segregation between players of different teams.

The only thing you really lose is channel descriptions and even then you have to option of pinning certain messages to chertain channels, so if you care about having your logos and stats visible in your personal team channels you can still do that in a round-about sort of way.

Rénbeaudach

News Articles: 3

Division 1 Winner: Season 99

Postby Rénbeaudach » December 22nd, 2017, 1:06 pm

socrates wrote:Unless the whole community uses discord rather than TS it really really sucks imo.

This is also partially true, however if the community is too stubborn to take 30 seconds to install discord and join for the sake of keeping it together, then perhaps it's not really a 'community' as such in the first place.

Secondly, as I have mentioned before on the forum-chat, it's not like people tend to use TS at all as a community chat feature - most players talk solely in their own team channels the vast majority of the time - and this is a problem you yourself have decried on numerous occasions if I am not mistaken. To this effect, Discord offers what I see as clearly the most elegant solution.

Rénbeaudach

Postby Hannes » December 22nd, 2017, 1:10 pm

Rénbeaudach wrote:
Hannes wrote:you cant really clearly identify users on discord, banning people for example.

You can do it just as well as on TS - each user has a unique ID attached to them that can be kicked and banned just as you would normally.

Which is not connected to the IP. So you just can make a new ID and join again.

Hannes

Postby Rénbeaudach » December 22nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

Likewise you can trivially rejoin on a proxy/ if you have a dynamic IP create a new ts identity

Point being - on both programs a reasonably determined user can easily bypass a ban if they'd like to (remember 'ghandi' anyone?)

Rénbeaudach

Postby salamini » December 23rd, 2017, 2:58 am

:fp: gg

salamini

Postby aeRo » December 24th, 2017, 12:13 pm

lets buy a mumble server

aeRo