What OS and Computer do you use?

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

What OS and Computer do you use?

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 10:51 am

So after playing this game for a couple months i still dont feel like it's running as smoothly as possible.
I heard windows 10 might have some issues with Haxball and am considering reverting to windows 7.
It would help me if i could get some suggestions to run the game smoother (feels like there is a bit of delay and extrapolation doesn't remove it.)
What Operating system do you use currently and what laptop/computer do you have?

Pedy

News Articles: 0

Re: What OS and Computer do you use?

Postby aitor » December 16th, 2018, 1:48 pm

i5-4460 3.2 GHz Nvidia GTX 750 8 GB RAM
i use Windows 10 with Waterfox browser.
sometimes i feel that i have some delays but anything special.
extrapolation 40

aitor

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Ekstör wrote:i5-4460 3.2 GHz Nvidia GTX 750 8 GB RAM
i use Windows 10 with Waterfox browser.
sometimes i feel that i have some delays but anything special.
extrapolation 40

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Do you use a laptop or desktop computer? And could you give me the full name of your device?

Pedy

Postby lsco » December 16th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Playing hax with win7 and 10 is different, Some ppl are used to play with 10 so win 10 might feel better and some are used to play with 7.
I honestly think that 7 is much better.
gameplay is also depending on how much is your FPS, I used to have 60 and it was really bad I couldn't turn around.
Ever since i got my 144 Hz monitor gameplay improved alot.

lsco

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 4:18 pm

lsco wrote:Playing hax with win7 and 10 is different, Some ppl are used to play with 10 so win 10 might feel better and some are used to play with 7.
I honestly think that 7 is much better.
gameplay is also depending on how much is your FPS, I used to have 60 and it was really bad I couldn't turn around.
Ever since i got my 144 Hz monitor gameplay improved alot.

I have got a 144hz screen but i still got some issues. Do you think playing on a 60hz screen but on windows 7 would be good?

Pedy

Postby P4ER » December 16th, 2018, 4:30 pm

played with windows 7 all my life, switched to windows 10 after coming back (retirement), if you are a baby that cant adjust to new settings that would be a problem.. playable on both operation systems (feels different at the start but you get used to it with the time).

P4ER

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 4:38 pm

P4ER wrote:played with windows 7 all my life, switched to windows 10 after coming back (retirement), if you are a baby that cant adjust to new settings that would be a problem.. playable on both operation systems (feels different at the start but you get used to it with the time).

I dont think having a delay in my game has got something to do with being a baby or not, besides I am willing to bet I am older than you.
If you don't have something nice to say please dont comment, you can spread your negativity elsewhere.

Pedy

Postby P4ER » December 16th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Pedy wrote:
P4ER wrote:played with windows 7 all my life, switched to windows 10 after coming back (retirement), if you are a baby that cant adjust to new settings that would be a problem.. playable on both operation systems (feels different at the start but you get used to it with the time).

I dont think having a delay in my game has got something to do with being a baby or not, besides I am willing to bet I am older than you.
If you don't have something nice to say please dont comment, you can spread your negativity elsewhere.

do you think i'm referring the bold part to you? i was talking in general.. lolz (for example players that have to write 10 times in a game [omg the game so slow unplayable i cant play with my new settings etc etc..])
players with this kind of weak mindset wont be able to switch their old settings bcz they're always thinking about the past and every mistake will be the result of the "new settings".. if i was telling myself i cant play in windows 10 (that was shitty AFF when i moved) i wasn't playing now with windows 10 and be happy with it..
its all about mindset.

*ofc im not talking about delay of trashy computers (thats really unplayable but its only 5% of the cases, its browser game not DOOM - its common in laptops)

Last edited by P4ER on December 16th, 2018, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
P4ER

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Alright fair enough, I can't speak in behalf of other players but for myself, I got a couple of new equipment like a totally different keyboard then the one i used to play with and I was able to adapt to it but this isn't something i feel like i can adapt to. I have got a pretty decent computer as well.
I think I am going to try to revert back to an older version of windows to remove any forced vsync.

Pedy

Postby VENOM i7 » December 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm

hp pavillion g6 laptop since 2012
i3 core
30fps extrapolation 0, too ez with it on 50

VENOM i7

Position: Forward

Postby LaggerMet » December 16th, 2018, 6:11 pm

I remember way back when I switched from XP to 8 there was a huge difference. I quitted the game for few years and came back with 10, I can't even remember how it felt in older windows so I guess there's a difference but you can adapt to it.

LaggerMet

Postby Yannex » December 16th, 2018, 6:14 pm

same thing for me i had to switch from win 7 to 10 and people told me they see difference in me that i'm worse etc
me personally tho i didnt feel a change but i do know there is a change so with time i just got used to it and i feel same if not better than on win 7
and i used to play without extrapolation, for me i dont feel HUGE difference with or without like most people feel so i dont mind playing without aswell so again its just getting used to it..

as for pc, normal desktop with 144hz monitor is a whole different world than 60hz monitor so ofc go for 144hz thats all basically about pc (never tryed laptop so cant tell you)
as for browser for me personally clean browser is best.. by clean i mean deleted history, cookies etc like brand new browser
i use ccleaner but mostly i clean it manually, idk if people feel difference about what i said with the browser but i do so imo try it you have nothing to lose xd

Yannex

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby Pedy » December 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Clearing the cache didn't have an effect for me but thanks.

Yannex wrote:

same thing for me i had to switch from win 7 to 10 and people told me they see difference in me that i'm worse etc
me personally tho i didnt feel a change but i do know there is a change so with time i just got used to it and i feel same if not better than on win 7
and i used to play without extrapolation, for me i dont feel HUGE difference with or without like most people feel so i dont mind playing without aswell so again its just getting used to it..

as for pc, normal desktop with 144hz monitor is a whole different world than 60hz monitor so ofc go for 144hz thats all basically about pc (never tryed laptop so cant tell you)
as for browser for me personally clean browser is best.. by clean i mean deleted history, cookies etc like brand new browser
i use ccleaner but mostly i clean it manually, idk if people feel difference about what i said with the browser but i do so imo try it you have nothing to lose xd

Pedy

Postby Alekos » December 16th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Linux is the best OS!

Alekos

Postby aeRo » December 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

Windows 10
i7-7700HQ 2.8/3.5GHz
GTX 1060 3GB
8GB RAM
60Hz Laptop screen

Sometimes use HaxWin sometimes use Opera. Extrapolation between 10-30 otherwise its too shaky.

Honestly haxball feels the worst its ever felt for me right now and it seems to change from one day to the next. One day I'll play on HaxWin with extrap 10 and the game will feel smooth and responsive and its great. One day I'll play on Opera with extrap 30 and it will feel super fast. Next day I'll try both browsers different extrapolation values, reboot laptop, reset router, full system scan, cclean everything, update all my drivers and it will feel like I'm playing in slow motion and I can't even control where I am moving on the field.

I've tried pretty much every html compatible browser there is and not a single one gives me a consistent game of haxball. If it was always bad I would understand but every couple of weeks there will be day where the game feels perfect. I don't get it...

I've also tried some different nvidia settings but it doesn't appear to make a difference. Also tried different display resolutions. Nothing helps and I'm pretty close to just not playing any more because it isn't enjoyable for me like this.

aeRo
Elder of da Realm

Postby socrates » December 17th, 2018, 11:47 am

Have you tried playing in full screen? I seem to remember that some people said that affected the vsync or something.

Your hardware should be more than good enough for hax - if you can't find a solution maybe speak with basro on his issue tracker or on irc. It might be possible if he see's people having problems that he could optimise the game a bit better. Especially if you could record your screen in the times when it is bad to show him evidence of the problem. The game being shaky I mean since from my understanding inputs are slightly delayed with extrapolation anyway at the cost of game running smoother. Either way would be nice to have clarification from basro what is causing these problems and what extrapolation actually does.

I'm on windows 7 and have no problems without any extrapolation even though my PC specs are nothing special. i5 with mid range GPU.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby Pedy » December 17th, 2018, 1:07 pm

I personally have tried playing with full screen without it solving my problem, and in my case i dont think it's visibly possible to see a difference such as shaking. There might be one issue that i haven't really thought about and that is the fact that i am using an IPS monitor rather than a TN monitor which has a slightly faster response time.. But i have no idea if that is what is causing the issue. I think the large factor is that haxball is a game better optimized for older devices rather than newer devices but i am not sure.

Pedy

Postby VENOM i7 » December 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

just put 30 fps with high extrap and 1.25x zoom settings and u'll be fine

VENOM i7

Postby Pedy » December 17th, 2018, 8:59 pm

VENOM i7 wrote:just put 30 fps with high extrap and 1.25x zoom settings and u'll be fine

My game lags on 30 fps - Any Idea why btw? It didn't use to on flash (although now it lags 30 fps on flash as well)

Pedy

Postby Pedy » June 26th, 2019, 11:14 am

Update and Recommendations:

OS: Not a big difference for me between windows 10 and windows 7 but i do prefer the latter.
Extrapolation: 115 (Variable depending on the user.)
Zoom: 2.5 (Difficult to make some passes or shots but overall better and faster gameplay; Also note that extrapolation gets slightly less shaky.
Monitor: 144 hz monitor, although mine doesnt have the fastest response time, so i would recommend getting one with 1ms.
Browser: Prefer Chrome but firefox is a good alternative for windows 10 users.

Currently i got some fps lags so i have to try to fix them but these settings work the best for me, try them out.

Pedy

Next

Return to General Haxball Discussion