Rotating defence, your thoughts.

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Rotating defence, your thoughts.

Postby CircleBoy » August 31st, 2011, 10:34 pm

I was playing some 3 on 3 earlier in the pubs and during the game I and another player (rebecca I think?) kept trading positions during play. The baisic idea is that if I was defending/goalkeeping but the ball wound up in a position where I was best placed to take it on I would do so and she would drop back to cover. We'd stay like that until the situation called for her to come foward and then I would resume my position. I know this seems like an obvious move but most teams have a dedicated defender and normaly whenever I see them take it on they immediately drop back when they get rid of the ball...which of course reduces pressure on the other team. Or the person who dropped back starts getting flat and trying to creep foward which results in a counter attack.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this, it seems fairly usefull since any decent haxballer, even those who are primarily strikers are decent in defence.

CircleBoy

News Articles: 2

Re: Rotating defence, your thoughts.

Postby socrates » September 1st, 2011, 1:54 pm

Ideally i think this is the best strategy but it depends on who your playing with. I feel like i would start to leak goals if i didnt have a dedicated defender behind me, but thats just because i suck at defending.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby CircleBoy » September 1st, 2011, 3:27 pm

Thats ok...I suck at defending and I'm meant to be a dedicated defender

CircleBoy

Postby any1 » September 1st, 2011, 3:59 pm

total football, cruffy's dream! It's good so long as everyone is good at all positions, but you could end up wasting someone like ace's skills in defence when he could be busy scoring loads of goals, or the_spy (not part of our clan) upfront when he could be busy saving loads of goals. :)

any1

News Articles: 0

Postby CircleBoy » September 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm

Yeah its player specific I suppose. But if both players are compitent that extra second you gain can create problems for the defence.

CircleBoy

Postby any1 » September 1st, 2011, 5:16 pm

CircleBoy wrote: But if both players are compitent that extra second you gain can create problems for the defence.

Absolutely true. People like alec baldwin, Gary, etc. would be beasts at that. Image

any1

Postby deerhaunter94 » September 3rd, 2011, 11:02 am

Yeah believe it or not I do switch from mid to defence if only to cover for a few seconds, I find it's just so good that their's always a player in defence at any one time.

deerhaunter94

Division 1 Winner: Season 1, Season 2
Cup Runner-up: Season 3

Postby Starfox » September 8th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Sorry but this is the ONLY way to play. Although I'm not very good myself, you don't need to be to be able to see that you can only reach a certain level without doing this.

People say, "I dont go back because i'm not good at defence"...right well, i'll let you in on a secret, it's better to have ANY defender than none. If the one solid defender gets "done".

Starfox

Postby Ghost » September 8th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I've always played like this. I'm not what you'd call a proficient finisher of chances, but I do like breaking forwards when possible to put the defence under pressure, so it's nice knowing that if you do go forward you've got someone covering you. In the same vein, if one of my team mates are pushing forwards I've always dropped back to cover any deflections coming back at me.

It works a lot better in 4v4(2 def, 2 for) than it does in 3v3 where you generally only have one dedicated defender.

Ghost
Elder of da Realm

News Articles: 8

Division 1 Winner: Season 1

Postby Starfox » September 8th, 2011, 2:35 pm

This is the problem with 3v3, people think " I am not the 1 dedicated defender, therefore I wont go back" ...Which an awful attitude.

What happens if the 1 defender has a great chance to go foward, unfortunately it results in a counter this time....I'd like to think someone has the sense to go back.

In public games I find this hardly ever happens. "it wasnt my role"....oh right, so you dont like winning.

Starfox

Postby Alec Baldwin » September 8th, 2011, 4:02 pm

S.Mouse! wrote:This is the problem with 3v3, people think " I am not the 1 dedicated defender, therefore I wont go back" ...Which an awful attitude.

What happens if the 1 defender has a great chance to go foward, unfortunately it results in a counter this time....I'd like to think someone has the sense to go back.

In public games I find this hardly ever happens. "it wasnt my role"....oh right, so you dont like winning.

This.

As a defender, sometimes there are opportunities to press the opposition, possibly winning the ball back and creating a great chance for the team. If you do take the chance the ball occasionally rebounds funny, and with nobody back covering you, they score, and guess who gets the blame(!)

That's why I like playing with people like Jonny, Chef and Donny (the Park Ji-Sung of Haxball) in particular, because they're not selfish idiots.

Alec Baldwin

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Park Ji-Sung? FML.

Postby Alec Baldwin » September 8th, 2011, 5:46 pm

You totally are. Not in a ball-chasing, dog-eating way, though.

Alec Baldwin

Postby noj » September 8th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Basically, you look like him.

[16:09:57] @ fap : i wonder if chinese ppl are like fancy a chinese this weekend
<00:01:05> "fap" pokes you: lool bare ppl are faggots 'oh noo im retirin' bla bla
<23:06:38> "Pedy": im not a cunt nemore
noj
Elder of da Realm

News Articles: 1

Position: Defensive Midfielder
Division 1 Winner: Season 1, Season 2
Cup Runner-up: Season 3, Season 5

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Racist pricks.

Return to General Haxball Discussion