How to improve skills?

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

How to improve skills?

Postby s1lv1 » March 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hello, Im new here. :)

I've been playing for a long time. More than a year. I am currently at the stage that on most public servers I am considered a pro, but I am still far from league players. I have a very good overview of the field, timing passes, but with the minuses I can include playing in the corner and performing more complex tricks. How to improve your skills? What to focus on? Can I find guides somewhere, e.g. how to deal with various corner situations?

s1lv1

News Articles: 0

Re: How to improve skills?

Postby Ferg » March 28th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I'd suggest watching recordings of specific good corner players

Ferg

Position: Forward

Postby EdinsonCavani » March 28th, 2020, 5:01 pm

extrapolation 200

EdinsonCavani

Postby Adem Ljajić » March 28th, 2020, 5:55 pm

If you want to be good, you should play the game with the good players. Including your opponents and your team.

You hold the answers deep within your own mind
Consciously, you've forgotten it
That's the way the human mind works:
Whenever something is too unpleasant
Too shameful for us to entertain
We reject it
We erase it from our memories
But the imprint is always there.
Adem Ljajić

Position: Defensive Midfielder
Division 1 Winner: Stiff Wind
Cup Runner-up: Stiff Wind
Division 2 Winner: Banfield
Cup Winner: Banfield

Postby B4D4SS » March 28th, 2020, 6:54 pm

you have to have fast fingers and willing to give yourself arthritis, thats all. if you dont, say goodbye to being a top player in this game, because timing, skill, reads and game sense/positioning aren't that important lol

B4D4SS

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby LaggerMet » March 28th, 2020, 7:26 pm

B4D4SS wrote:you have to have fast fingers and willing to give yourself arthritis, thats all. if you dont, say goodbye to being a top player in this game, because timing, skill, reads and game sense/positioning aren't that important lol

name one player who is an actual top player (with actual achievements) and is just spamming without brain
yes, the league (and game in general) is full of these players but their greatest achievement is making other players want to quit the game when playing FS against them

LaggerMet

Postby B4D4SS » March 28th, 2020, 8:23 pm

LaggerMet wrote:
B4D4SS wrote:you have to have fast fingers and willing to give yourself arthritis, thats all. if you dont, say goodbye to being a top player in this game, because timing, skill, reads and game sense/positioning aren't that important lol

name one player who is an actual top player (with actual achievements) and is just spamming without brain
yes, the league (and game in general) is full of these players but their greatest achievement is making other players want to quit the game when playing FS against them

Go have a look at top level teams defences, all of them are a mess. They have big holes all over the place, and rely on the randomness of deflections which cant be read (that used to be read in physics with actual patterns), this is about luck and randomness who scores. You can make chances but the control over the game is really low, many teams make loads of chances and dont score, then concede a goal from 1 mistake they get punished for unluckily. If you cant effectively punish mistakes/holes in defences, the luck/random factor increases.

It has to add up to 100%, before the game was 98% skill 2% luck, nowadays I'd say its at least 20% luck. Its also counterproductive to have a defence without holes, because lots of teams aren't even clearing the ball by themselves, they are conceded chances in their defence and clear the ball from the random deflections that happened in their sketchy defences.

TL;DR The less patterns that exist to be read, the more luck/random factor influences the game.

B4D4SS

Postby Anddy » March 28th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Yes indeed, wroz and isco are bad dms, just very very very lucky !

Anddy

Postby B4D4SS » March 28th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Anddy wrote:Yes indeed, wroz and isco are bad dms, just very very very lucky !

Isco was more powerful in Flash relative to other DMs but still his style relies more on tiki taka so he is less effected than skill based DMs. Wrozbita was punished more for his holes in defence on Flash (when he was with zPooKy) like all holed defences were, and his attack was more explosive on Flash because he was rewarded more for finding holes in other teams defences, these days like most other HTML DMs, he seems to play to keep the ball more rather than going for the gaps/jukes, because you dont get rewarded so much for finding holes and very often just lose possession, punished for making a positive action in attack.

But if you want an example of extreme skill to see the difference more clearly, pls look at any Tortogol rec on Flash vs HTML. Thats the most skilled player (NOT fast fingers, SKILL+READS) we ever had on this game, and he is SO much weaker and less effective on HTML matches, have a look yourself and see. Hulk is another good example, Splat, Falk too. These DMs relied heavily on skill, not tiki taka passing, which is why they are so weakened.

B4D4SS

Postby Pedy » March 28th, 2020, 11:21 pm

the difference from html to flash is in flash the more dominant team usually won now its not the same

Pedy

Postby B4D4SS » March 28th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Pedy wrote:the difference from html to flash is in flash the more dominant team usually won now its not the same

And they dominated in all areas of the field. Being outplayed meant you had little to no chance of a fluke win. All mistakes in a defence/midfield where punished quickly if a team was good enough to read those mistakes, which very often was what separated top players and decent players, a trait that cant really be seen but exists and is so important -VISION, its almost irrelevant on HTML though. Hundreds of mistakes happening every FM match day are going unpunished.

B4D4SS

Postby saviola » March 29th, 2020, 10:28 am

I'm not sure, I remember many matches of Pablo (for example in season 17) where we were dominated and still won 1-0 or something, and I don't think we defended all that perfectly. In my personal experience, it feels rather the opposite, on HTML the more dominant team is more likely to win. But maybe Pablo just got worse since HTML. :D

saviola

Postby socrates » March 29th, 2020, 11:57 am

That explains it savi! Pablo are actually one of the high skill teams! So ofc they were near the top on flash and are now struggling because we have low skill round balls in html!

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby Zoro1 » March 29th, 2020, 12:28 pm

do u guys also feel pretty awkward when u see ppl newly discovering this game and the communities in 2020?

best way of learning something is to watch imo. so in that manner im gonna suggest few teams/players for u (according to my recent observations) to watch if u wanna improve ur corner domination and the wall skills:

-most players from Israel, to be more spessific maybe P4ER, meyer, yannex. you could watch them.
-you can definitely watch Vak, the polish monster :p
-SAKY, possibly.
-Necro (the Turkish one),
-xSha/Ihattaren, surely he also has skills.

a small tip about the tricks stuff; finding the balance between being a trickster wall player and a useful team player is actually the point. because amateur tricksters are mostly playing selfish, they are not being able to carry their team even a step forward. cuz they waste literally whole their time on the corner with tricks and they avoid giving backpasses. cuz when an amateur trickster fails his tricks, he does not get satisfied and keeps trying until he does it correctly. then he (maybe) gives backpasses. (but probably he fails or the def kicks it out 100 times already).

a general suggestion about haxball gameplay: a good player is not the one who can do 100% rate of tricks, but the one who does what he/she has to do in the game in the simplest/fastest way, but nothing more.

Zoro1

Postby s1lv1 » March 29th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Thank u for all replies.

I'd suggest watching recordings of specific good corner players

What players should I watch?

extrapolation 200

I have 60 extrapolation but i think its a not enough. What do u think about it?

But if you want an example of extreme skill to see the difference more clearly, pls look at any Tortogol rec on Flash vs HTML. Thats the most skilled player (NOT fast fingers, SKILL+READS) we ever had on this game, and he is SO much weaker and less effective on HTML matches, have a look yourself and see. Hulk is another good example, Splat, Falk too. These DMs relied heavily on skill, not tiki taka passing, which is why they are so weakened.

Where i can find replays matches of this players?

the difference from html to flash is in flash the more dominant team usually won now its not the same

I play on a room that calculates field dominance, so the team that dominates (despite the tie), after a certain extra time (max 10 minutes) - wins the match.

-most players from Israel, to be more spessific maybe P4ER, meyer, yannex. you could watch them.
-you can definitely watch Vak, the polish monster :p
-SAKY, possibly.
-Necro (the Turkish one),
-xSha/Ihattaren, surely he also has skills.

Thank u.

cuz they waste literally whole their time on the corner with tricks and they avoid giving backpasses.

I have a question about backpasses. Especially for offensive play in the corner. I mainly play 4vs4. How should I position myself when I'm in the corner and playing backwards. Should I stand still and wait for the opportunity right after the application? Do you move to one side? Generally, for my opponents in such situations it is easy to knock out and clear the situations. How to improve it?

a general suggestion about haxball gameplay: a good player is not the one who can do 100% rate of tricks, but the one who does what he/she has to do in the game in the simplest/fastest way, but nothing more.

I agree. That's why I think that watching how better players behave in given situations than me will help me become better.

s1lv1

Postby Barca » March 29th, 2020, 1:07 pm

overall: the more you play the better you get
-> efficiency of practice also can make a huge difference (what you play, with who you play, against who you play)

in addition of analyzing your own + your teams gameplay and analyzing mistakes the road to glory can start

Barca

News Articles: 4

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby Zoro1 » March 29th, 2020, 1:16 pm

during 1v1 situations in attack in corner,

- u have to take the corner control first, easiest way to do that is to push/body your opponent outwards. he surely will not let u do that easily, he will try to kick the ball forward, or maybe will try to lift the ball vertically, u must not let that happen (so watch out ur x otherwise u just help him kicking the ball) u must let the ball stay in corner till u have almost 100% ball control. when u have the angle on ur side, without losing ur angle and space u have to kick ball once or twice to take it on ur back side so u can backpass. but during this u have to keep blocking him otherwise if he can catch ur backpass in between, he kicks it out still.

its super hard to do, especially in this new haxball gameplay, they will 2v1 u in corner and against that I guess u have nothing to do. a possible solution is if they try to 2v1 u in corner, like, one blocks u and other tries to kick the ball, ur other teammates also need to cover them from behind; which eventually causes a ball gets stuck position in corner and welcome to haxball 2020!

Zoro1

Postby B4D4SS » March 29th, 2020, 8:49 pm

saviola wrote:I'm not sure, I remember many matches of Pablo (for example in season 17) where we were dominated and still won 1-0 or something, and I don't think we defended all that perfectly. In my personal experience, it feels rather the opposite, on HTML the more dominant team is more likely to win. But maybe Pablo just got worse since HTML. :D

Your using the pattern of a medium level team and applying it to the top level of the game as if it applies exactly the same way to those high level matches, your wrong. If you think Tortogol Hulk Splat Falk Pringles Shaxlele Gio and many more are better on HTML compared to Flash then idk what to say except you either haven't analysed the difference in their gameplay, or your delusional.

Also, Pablo had better defence + positioning + Haxball IQ/decision + chemistry making than average teams, and slower fingers (see Hannes, socrates, MrP, Saviola). You guys had above average Haxball intelligence (not top level) and below average or average finger speed, thats why your doing worse now because the mental side of Haxball has diminished in importance, which was your strength, the same way it was my strength and for many others too.

And the skill ceiling is lower, because its harder to be perfect mentally, than simply have fast fingers. I was breaking down this game tactically for 3years and STILL refining my Haxball IQ, because of the readable patterns there were just endless intelligent moves that could be made in the game, thats how high the skill ceiling used to be. I doubt in 2more years of HTML, xSha is gonna be doing anything different from what he's doing now, he's peaked because the skill ceiling is low if the game relies on fast fingers for the majority of its skill ceiling.

B4D4SS

Postby B4D4SS » March 29th, 2020, 9:09 pm

s1lv1 wrote:

Where i can find replays matches of this players?

Dont worry its not a tip to improve your gameplay, I'm just venting about the old version of Haxball being superior, it used to run on Flash player rather than HTML like it does now.

Heres a replay of Tortogol on Flash if your interested anyway: http://haxrec.com/171845

B4D4SS

Postby s1lv1 » April 8th, 2020, 10:51 am

I have a technical question. When I try to make rocket against the wall, I usually get so flat, along the band... What am I doing bad?? That it's very difficult for me to increase the angle so that such a rocket fires into the goal light? Usually, when I try to increase the angle, the ball bounces off the wall. Does it have to do with the fact that I push with an arrow? Is something more to be done at the time of rocket than just double-clicking x and choosing the right angle?

s1lv1

Return to General Haxball Discussion