Interesting stat about FM since HTML switch

It is what it says on the tin.

Interesting stat about FM since HTML switch

Postby B4D4SS » December 12th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Out of interest I found a website that tracks how popular websites are over time relative to all other websites on the internet (that's right I'm still salty about HTML)

So naturally FM has a slight drop just before April 2018 because season 21 was finishing. However you would expect the traffic to rise back up again as Season 22 starts, right?

https://m.imgur.com/AtJMZK7

Well looks like HTML has caused a massive crash for the most well known and popular competitive Haxball website. From being ranked 600k to now almost 2million, and it is still plummeting.

I guess the gameplay really was different and put people off taking the game seriously. That 33ms latency delay being removed affected the gameplay in more ways than most people would think and lowered the skill ceiling to the point of Haxball turning into an arcade game.

Competitive Haxball has paid the price like MrP, me and many others predicted.

You can expect players from other leagues to all come here since they don't have enough players in theirs anymore, then his place will slowly die out. Then gg bb Competitive Haxball.

B4D4SS

News Articles: 0

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Re: Interesting stat about FM since HTML switch

Postby LaggerMet » December 12th, 2018, 7:21 pm

I think that denying that HTML is superior to flash in this time is really hipster move, haha...
People quitting this game doesn't necessarily has anything to do with the flash\HTML issue

LaggerMet

Postby Jappo » December 12th, 2018, 8:26 pm

i still believe that flash was the better variant for me. never really liked HTML5 and i think a lot of others feel the same way.
but doesnt matter what i liked more or not, cause haxball.com changed to HTML and its more modern. fm had no other choices as to change it. and they did it at the best time.
everything used to be better, how often did you hear the saying?

i am one of the longest active users here and i have seen many players go, and only ~1% has come back. It doesnt come qualitatively after what goes away. and i dont mean just the skill. a community lives off more than that.
if that's all cause of html? i doubt.....

haxball.com will be around for a while. but, wheater this league here is still exists for several years? i dunno, we will see it....
to make 3 leagues was certainly not the best choice. you shoulnt let that fool you. but at least it was a try

Jappo

Cup Runner-up: Season 4

Postby B4D4SS » December 12th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Well its no coincidence that FM plummets massively just as the HTML Season 22 starts in late April/early May, just look at the timing of the collapse in the graph: https://m.imgur.com/AtJMZK7

FLASH won the Season 22 Format Vote btw so maybe your opinion is that HTML has better gameplay but not everyone agrees (and this vote was after the Season 21 HTML 3v3 mode for people to get used to it, which actually made HTML less popular in the Season 22 Format Vote than the Season 21 Format Vote)

B4D4SS

Postby ATuntija » December 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm

:popcorn:

ATuntija

News Articles: 12

Position: Forward

Postby Lyreco » December 12th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Lyreco

Postby sw1zy » December 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Rizzoli wrote:https://i.imgflip.com/2otqyh.jpg

peer pressure op :P

sw1zy

Postby Maddude » December 12th, 2018, 10:04 pm

alexa play despacito

Co-Founder of Feed Me Community!
Maddude
Elder of da Realm

News Articles: 4

Position: Goalkeeper
Division 1 Winner: Every time except once
Cup Runner-up: Never
Division 2 Winner: Just the once
Cup Winner: Every time

Postby jelly » December 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm

make love not war

jelly

Postby Total » December 12th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Well imo the change doesnt explain anything. The league has been active, well at least it looks like it ^^

Yeah there are some differences in the gameplay between flash and html itself. But to be perfectly honest, the extrapolation command which has been added to the HTML version of haxball, has ruined the game. It takes away the bigger advantage of being more creative team or even as an individual. I want the old school style back! The game is full of pressing x in the corner and trying to win by spamming the x (this new command makes it easier).

Total

Postby P4ER » December 12th, 2018, 11:38 pm

TotalPlayer wrote:Well imo the change doesnt explain anything. The league has been active, well at least it looks like it ^^

Yeah there are some differences in the gameplay between flash and html itself. But to be perfectly honest, the extrapolation command which has been added to the HTML version of haxball, has ruined the game. It takes away the bigger advantage of being more creative team or even as an individual. I want the old school style back! The game is full of pressing x in the corner and trying to win by spamming the x (this new command makes it easier).

Its not the command my friend, its called macro's, and they aren't afraid to be obv.. thats the problem (i wouldnt say its a big problem but its really annoying its the main cause people handle the ball in att by spamming the ball in corners.)

P4ER

Postby Total » December 12th, 2018, 11:44 pm

P4ER wrote:Its not the command my friend, its called macro's, and they aren't afraid to be obv.. thats the problem

I do not see people using that much macro (ofc there are that kind of people too). Its the extrapolation which allows everyone to do the same x pressing fast shit wohoo possible. It was not like this before and I dont like this change.

Total

Postby Soul » December 13th, 2018, 12:36 am

I LOVE PIZZA! DO YOU LOVE PIZZA GUYS?! :santa:

Soul

Postby Pringles » December 13th, 2018, 2:56 am

TotalPlayer wrote:
P4ER wrote:Its not the command my friend, its called macro's, and they aren't afraid to be obv.. thats the problem

I do not see people using that much macro (ofc there are that kind of people too). Its the extrapolation which allows everyone to do the same x pressing fast shit wohoo possible. It was not like this before and I dont like this change.

Well, to be honest i really think it's the opposite. Somehow i strongly believe that my spamm (per example) was way stronger at Flash version. Besides that, i feel like the gameplay has changed, but not that much to change the whole haxball community, since most of the players had this playstyle (the supposedly html style) already.

Pringles

Postby Total » December 13th, 2018, 6:15 am

Pringles wrote:Well, to be honest i really think it's the opposite. Somehow i strongly believe that my spamm (per example) was way stronger at Flash version. Besides that, i feel like the gameplay has changed, but not that much to change the whole haxball community, since most of the players had this playstyle (the supposedly html style) already.

Well I think that your spam felt stronger because other people couldnt spam so hard. With extrapolation people can (and will) put high values for it and they get so strong at spamming.

Total

Postby Pedy » December 13th, 2018, 6:54 am

TotalPlayer wrote:
Pringles wrote:Well, to be honest i really think it's the opposite. Somehow i strongly believe that my spamm (per example) was way stronger at Flash version. Besides that, i feel like the gameplay has changed, but not that much to change the whole haxball community, since most of the players had this playstyle (the supposedly html style) already.

Well I think that your spam felt stronger because other people couldnt spam so hard. With extrapolation people can (and will) put high values for it and they get so strong at spamming.

I agree that the extrapolation command makes it impossible to get the ball off corners from certain players (Yes they are good but it should not be impossible).. But on one hand extrapolation is the only thing that is making the game slightly playable for me, if you take it away I won't be able to play the game.
I also tried playing Haxball in the flash version and it was terrible for me. Is it possible that newer computers just dont run haxball as well?

Pedy

Postby socrates » December 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

From a purely statistical point of view you would need more evidence to back up your claim. That only shows relative to other sites so its possible FM would drop in rank even if it increased in traffic (if other sites increased more). You also need some evidence that any drop would be due to the reasons you claim - it could also be any other number of factors for example it might be that FM always drops in traffic over the summer months as people spend less time at home on PC's. You could also argue that after a full season on HTML that the next season had the most teams ever on FM, most active users and I think most people on teamspeak so your claims are not clear.

Why would extrapolation command help spam? I guess I still don't understand this but from what I've read it doesn't affect input at all? Again I would like to see some evidence that spam is better or worse on HTML than flash or with/without extrapolation command because I don't see any difference.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby lsco » December 13th, 2018, 9:23 am

Pedy wrote:
TotalPlayer wrote:

I agree that the extrapolation command makes it impossible to get the ball off corners from certain players (Yes they are good but it should not be impossible).. But on one hand extrapolation is the only thing that is making the game slightly playable for me, if you take it away I won't be able to play the game.
I also tried playing Haxball in the flash version and it was terrible for me. Is it possible that newer computers just dont run haxball as well?

Yes, thats exactly the case.
Players with windows 8,10 are lucky to have extrapolation.
How ever i still believe that haxball was perfect before that command.

lsco

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby Twigg » December 13th, 2018, 9:33 am

Correlation does not imply causation unless you can prove otherwise.

Twigg

Postby B4D4SS » December 13th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Yeah of course, but it doesn't mean that my evidence is completely irrelevant.

Its a fact that this website traffic rank has plummeted and is still doing so right now, since falling below rank 1million in June, it has falled another million to rank 1,996,906 in the last 5 months.

Yeah maybe you can say all other websites have got wayyyyy more popular and FM only slightly more so its fallen in rank, but is that really a likely coincidence it would happen JUST AS HTML STARTS.

People can make their own minds up, but I think there's more proof HTML caused this (considering how many preferred Flash) than it being because of a random fluke like all other websites getting way more popular at the exact same time as each other and also the exact same time HTML is released.

B4D4SS

Next

Return to League Discussion