Ranked matchmaking system for Haxball

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Would you want to see a ranked matchmaking system implemented in or for Haxball?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 61

Ranked matchmaking system for Haxball

Postby gado » May 16th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Hello, fellow Haxball players.

This thread is created as a result of a discussion with Basro. He wants to know how many people would be interested in this idea, therefore, we will open the discussion to all of you here.

As the title implies, I am going to talk about something that is very important for the competitive scene of any game, which is a ranked matchmaking system. Why? It is one of the main reasons, if not the main one, that people keep playing a game, where the objective is presenting a PvP environment. What I mean by this, is that PvP games (Player vs Player) need to support and nurture the competitive nature of the playerbase. This is done by, for example, creating a system which purposely pits players against each other and rewards them accordingly. Examples of this could be an ELO system, the system that Chess utilizes to rank the professional players, or the ranked system that League of Legends uses, a more visual ranking. Link: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_system

Before I address any of the critique that some of you might be wanting to present in regards to this topic, as Haxball is very different from other games, let me first briefly explain what the suggestion is.

For a system like this there are some things that need to be implemented:

- A login system. This means that the game would have to let their users be able to create accounts which they would play with.
- Regional servers. Server hosts for the respective regions where the users would play.
- A matchmaking system. A system within the game that automatically pairs up players with teammates and against other players. Later on this could be in combination with some form of ranked system, like the ones mentioned previously.

Now to address the critique with a system like this implemented in Haxball, going by the three things mentioned above.
First of all, the login system could cause problems for people who would want to simply enjoy the game without having to register. Also, people who normally use a nickname would maybe be forced to create a different one for their account, if it is already taken.
A suggested solution for this would be having nicknames and accounts be separate. Accounts displayed with a different colour ingame than temporary nicknames. An example of this would be this:

The biggest problem of this whole thing comes with the server hosting. To get and maintain a server host that would be required to host for the amount of players in Haxball, would be financially difficult for a single person to cover, which in this case is Basro. Also, providing servers that are adequate for all the regions playing Haxball, is an even larger hurdle to climb.
Sadly, the only solution that I see to this, is having the players themselves financially support the servers, however this will not be possible, and we all know why.

The matchmaking system itself is a matter of having the right person being able to code and/or program it into the game. This would require the person in charge to have the knowledge of creating it, but also maintaining it. It requires someone to also monitor that it is working properly and the ingame issues that it would present (toxicity, bad matchmaking, etc.).

I, as well as many of you here, I hope, are not happy with the current situation in Haxball. Having to go to extreme lengths to find competition, even just friendly matches, and being able to visually see how you are progressing in the game. This system does not only provide a way for people to find matches effortlessly from WITHIN THE GAME, but it also helps satistfy the competitive nature within the playerbase. We have to resort to create our own competition as the founders of this league have, and it simply demands too much time and effort from the community, that could easily be fixed if the game itself provided it to us. In the worst case scenario, we'll have to rely on some community members to create this system, like we always have. Feel free to discuss and share your opinions for or against this topic, it would mean a lot.

gado

News Articles: 0

Position: Goalkeeper

Re: Ranked matchmaking system for Haxball

Postby pkppp » May 16th, 2018, 7:06 pm

THE BEST AGRESSIVE GK IS INTERESTED

pkppp

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby aguero10 » May 16th, 2018, 7:10 pm

wood league for hulk pls

aguero10

Division 1 Winner: Season 4
Division 2 Winner: Season 5

Postby TehBeast » May 16th, 2018, 7:35 pm

I like the idea, but Haxball is relatively small to games like LoL and CS:GO. Therefore I think an elo system comparable to those games is not a viable option for Haxball with the current playerbase. In the end you'd be playing against the same players over and over again.

I think different priorities should be set for now.

TehBeast

Postby ANDRÈA » May 16th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Well the idea is gr8 but we cant even find fs before waiting 10 mins, even in LoL ( there are thousand players ) u have to wait in q more than 10 mins to find match if u r high elo player ( dia 3+) and ofc u play with/against same players everyday so imo it would work in 2013/2014 but not now XD

ANDRÈA

Postby Ter » May 16th, 2018, 7:49 pm

yes, please.

Ter

Postby Baffo » May 16th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I've been talking a lot of implementing a ranked system in ts cause I thought this was the only way to increase the amount of players.
SUPAH approve, maybe we can discuss about how the ranking would work(Not me obviously, just here to +1)

Baffo

Postby jasko » May 16th, 2018, 8:07 pm

This might end up being as ESL (active for 1-2 weeks and dead later), but on the other hand it will be directly in the game, so maybe I'm wrong. But surely the focus for now should be to make the game more interesting for the beginners that even find out about the game, right? Maybe tutorials, bots? :scratch:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
jasko

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby Flash9 » May 16th, 2018, 8:26 pm

yes cant wait to finally officially destroy tobias..

Flash9

Position: Forward

Postby ALAN10 » May 16th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Be sure to create a 2v2 league, so I can boost Maldo up to plat here too.

ALAN10

Postby Herna » May 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

I see some benefits but also a lot of problems with this.
A rank system would only be fine for 1vs1, or for 2vs2/3vs3/4vs4 when you register as teams and get ranked as teams imo. Haxball is so hard team based that if your rank depends on a random teams performance it would make the atmosphere so bad. Dont know if thats cool for a team most players just play casual and for fun and that hasnt too much competitive potential...

Herna

News Articles: 27

Postby Muris 9 » May 17th, 2018, 9:43 am

Imo it would be good if you add party mode, so that teams can be both premade and random, however a player wants to play, whether with friends or with random ppl

Muris 9

Postby Anddy » May 17th, 2018, 1:43 pm

In curve fever, which is the same kind of game (the win can sorely depends on ONE player (troll, noob?)), a player has 3 sort of ranks, FFA, 1v1, Teams, let's talk about the last one which concerns 2v2, 3v3, 4v4:
In team a player can choose is team (red or blue here) inside the room before starting a match and the points calculated for the win/lose depends on the average rank of the team. for example if the red team has an average of 1800 points, plays against the blue team which has around 900pts, the reward for the red team after winning would be like +1 (which means -1 for the blue team) but on the other hand, the reward for the blue team would be like +40 (-40 for the reds). Players in the room can also be fair and both have an average of 1300 points and get around +20 by winning. Moreover, a player doesn't have a real team so he can play with anyone he wants because he has his own rank.

We're led to think that we can't make a league about this system, that's why we need to keep communities like fm who provides championship with team competition which is the most important point in haxball.

By the way, there's also 2 kind of matches in haxball, ranked and unranked.

Let's get back to haxball, what about a match who doesnt go till it's end ? Impossible in curve because after starting the game, the host can not do anything except being a single player. Which is the same in a lot of PvP games in fact, which means no sub, player's leaving cause 3vs4 etcs. a solution in haxball the host only would be allowed to pause and add a spec in the pitch (but not remove him ?).

Anddy

Postby Soul » May 17th, 2018, 2:56 pm

There will be guys like Skinny, SuarezN7 or Hannibal who will call me cheater.. so pls do it, but with party(lobby) mode aswell..

Soul

Postby Nana8 » May 17th, 2018, 6:08 pm

great idea, but i think its smart to get used to this html first :p + u will get these people who will register with other peoples names..

lmao
Nana8

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby Vak » May 17th, 2018, 6:35 pm

wasn't ever planned

Last edited by Vak on May 18th, 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vak

Postby Camillo » May 17th, 2018, 11:57 pm

https://github.com/haxball/haxball-issues/issues/279
Well, it looks like it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Camillo

Postby Nana8 » May 18th, 2018, 9:35 am

kane wrote:Image

Welp there you have it lads, turns out the owner of haxball is even more of a useless fuck than we thought. don't expect any game reviving updates until atleast 2026.
;)

lmao
Nana8

Postby socrates » May 18th, 2018, 9:36 am

kane wrote:Welp there you have it lads, turns out the owner of haxball is even more of a useless fuck than we thought. don't expect any game reviving updates until atleast 2026.

Ok I'll bite. He created a game that you've spent years of your life playing. He has just finished creating a html5 version after coding for probably way over a year and is still actively working on it now. Don't be so rude and ungrateful.

socrates

News Articles: 69

Postby Nana8 » May 18th, 2018, 9:39 am

tbh, i dont even think that og players are ready for a "game reviving" update... look at html. I think the main reason that new players won't come back is because the mechanicals and movements in this game are way too hard. Imagine playing your whole life call of duty and then u gotta switch up to a game like this.

lmao
Nana8

Next

Return to General Haxball Discussion