Best Browser for HaxBall?

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Re: Best Browser for HaxBall?

Postby Capitan_fenomeno » January 25th, 2018, 10:01 am

internet explorer - flash player

Capitan_fenomeno

News Articles: 0

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby Kivi » January 25th, 2018, 4:15 pm

VENOM i7 wrote:just use chrome ffs ur browser doesnt change the way u play unless u have serious lag issues

Depends on your hardware and your personal sensitivity to changes. I've been a former competitive player in many games and I sense the difference between the browsers. Furthermore, some browsers work differently. Chrome for example has high CPU/RAM load which is the source of stuttering or even lags.

Maxthon / Opera was pretty much flawless on my old laptop and on my current high-end PC. I'm using Opera for HTML as well.

Kivi

Position: Forward

Postby VENOM i7 » January 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Kivi wrote:
VENOM i7 wrote:just use chrome ffs ur browser doesnt change the way u play unless u have serious lag issues

I''ve been a former competitive player in many games and I sense the difference between the browsers. Furthermore, some browsers work differently. Chrome for example has high CPU/RAM load which is the source of stuttering or even lags.

Maxthon / Opera was pretty much flawless on my old laptop and on my current high-end PC. I'm using Opera for HTML as well.

ye but haxball is kinda different tbh as u can play on 30fps easily but in cod/csgo/battlefield u have to have the highest fps for the best hit detection, especially for mlg/esports

VENOM i7

Postby OffSync » January 30th, 2018, 4:17 pm

VENOM i7 wrote:ye but haxball is kinda different tbh as u can play on 30fps easily but in cod/csgo/battlefield u have to have the highest fps for the best hit detection, especially for mlg/esports

FPS: how many times the client refreshes the display per second. It only concerns what a client sees, doesnt change mechanics.

Tickrate: how many times the server creates and sends a snapshot to the clients. Tickrate means that our actions in haxball are divided into 1/30 second intervals.

FPS and tickrate are different. We have 60 fps but 30 ticks. This means the server updates every client about the position and momentum of the ball and every player 30 times a second. There are twice as much frames than ticks if you choose 60 fps in the menu. This means every other frame is not actually showing what is happening, rather an interpolation of what would happen if there is no other input.

Also there is a delay because this is an online game. At a very low 40 ping your client gets the update from the server a tick later than it happens. The higher your ping is the more the delay is, so there is a small timeframe you dont see or knwo what is happening but you have to compensate for it.

Since we moved to html the delay decreased drastically but its still there. In flash the client had to wait for the display frame to compute what happened, but html5 can deal with the netcode behind the scenes, it doesnt need a visual framework. 30 ticks for a game with a small playing field like haxball is not enough in my opinion, but we cant change that.

The problem with this netcode is that based on ping you need to expect what will happen in the next ticks. And this is true both ways: from server to client and from client to server. If you have 20 ms you only need to play like you are 2 tick into the future. If your ping is 100 you have to act like you are 8 ticks after what you actually see. Lets say you pressed the right arrow with a ping of 80: your action reaches the server 3 ticks later but you see it instantly since movement is client sided. The server recieves your input and computes who is in your way. Turns out there is someone there, and he is pressing left arrow, blocking you. The server sends this information back to you after a tick passes, so you see the result of your action around 10 ticks later than you press the button. This is more than acceptable in an esport game without some sort of interpolation.

CSGO circumvented this with a kind of backwards interpolation. If you shoot a gun at a certain tick than it happens at that tick exactly. This means that the server gets your shot a few ticks later than it happened, so the server has to go back to a previous state and check if someone was hit at that position. It often happens that you got behind cover but still die because it turns out the other guy shot you but the server only sent you the information after you got behind the cover. It is almost impossible to implement something like this in haxball so I assume html5 is the best kind of netcode we will ever get in haxball.

Stop using flash, convert to html5.

Last edited by OffSync on January 30th, 2018, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OffSync

Postby Lyreco » January 30th, 2018, 4:18 pm

stop searching a beef pls, the convo is fucking over

Lyreco

Postby OffSync » January 30th, 2018, 4:21 pm

What is your problem, I just explained how a netcode works since the previous guy confused frames with ticks.

OffSync

Postby Kivi » January 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm

@OffSync

FPS = Frames per second

What you're understanding under FPS is "Hz" (your monitor frame rate). In Haxball, both actually mean the same but it has a different meaning in actual games.

Kivi

Postby Allen » January 30th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Kivi wrote:@OffSync

FPS = Frames per second

What you're understanding under FPS is "Hz" (your monitor frame rate). In Haxball, both actually mean the same but it has a different meaning in actual games.

haxball is an actual game with a big community and a successful pro scene

Allen

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby OffSync » January 30th, 2018, 9:36 pm

FPS = Frames per second

Flash haxball had an fps limit of 60, html5 is "unlimited". I wasnt refering to the monitor refresh rate, the flash client did actually perform at 60 hertz.

OffSync

Postby Kivi » January 31st, 2018, 1:13 am

Allen wrote:

FPS = Frames per second

Do you even know the meaning of the words you use? "Pro", "successfull", Haxball is by far not even close to that point. The "pro scene" you're talking about are communities who love to compete against each other in different leagues without getting any profit out of it.

Kivi

Postby PypleX » February 3rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

seamonkey 2.2

PypleX

Postby lsco » February 4th, 2018, 10:52 am

Allen wrote:

FPS = Frames per second

in that case we all would get paid for playing haxball, but we dont :no:

lsco

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby NaNi » February 4th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Maxthon 4.4.4.2000

NaNi

Postby Иecraòs » June 18th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Seamonkey 2.40 FLASH
Mozilla HTML5

Иecraòs

Postby Sero07 » June 19th, 2018, 7:10 am

Hey guys im using the Internet Explorer, ARRIBA just won season 1 in FeedMe cant wait for the next season!

Sero07

Position: Goalkeeper

Previous

Return to General Haxball Discussion