Guide to playing GK in Haxball by Leroy Johnson

Tell us your secrets... don't be shy.

Postby Leroy Johnson » November 14th, 2011, 5:25 pm

OK, I whipped this up, probably not complete but I'm confident that it's good.

The basics

As a GK you have two major things to consider when your team is on defence – time and position. Time: What’s the best position you can get into with the time you have? Position: Are you covering the angles with maximum efficiency? Your position is absolutely everything, if you’re not covering the angles you’re going to leak goals. It is imperative that these basic concepts are understood in order to play GK well.

Situational strategy

When you’re in a one-on-one situation, try to close the opponent down enough so that he has no angle to score from, but don’t give him enough so that he can try to knock the ball past you and run onto it. If you get the opportunity to, close him down completely. At this point you don’t need to do anything other than stop him getting past you, and then you can try to kick the ball away and get back into position.

When the ball is in the corner hug the inside of the goalpost. At this point you need to trust a team mate you help you defend your goal because the risk of getting beat at the near post means you can’t afford to leave a gap there. If the ball gets moved down the goal line towards you just hold your ground and be prepared to kick it out. Once the ball is out of the corner you need to move off the post and your team mate can push out again.

If you’re facing a two-on-one there isn’t much you can do should they try to pass around you. You have two choices, either close down the player in possession, or back down and cover your goal. Whichever you choose to do, two good players are going to pass around you and score so you just have to accept that you can’t always stop them. I would suggest that you base your decision on the mentality of the opponents you’re facing.

In possession, don’t panic. The worst thing you can do is let your opponents know that you’re scared to be in control of the ball. If you have any time whatsoever, stop and consider your options. I can’t tell you the best thing to do, every scenario is different and it is something that will come with experience, but your options are a combination of carrying the ball out of defence and looking for a pass. Let your opponent commit to something and then go in the other direction. For this to work really effectively you need team mates that trust you and will get in good positions. Once you have mastered control of the ball and shown your opponents that you’re not afraid to wield it you can sometimes carry the ball up to the halfway line without being challenged, which is great because from this position you can really apply pressure and you’re practically an extra attacker in this situation, which brings me onto my next point.

On the attack, the best thing for you to do is wait around the halfway line, and move in line with wherever the ball is. Most of the time you will be behind every other player on the pitch, but sometimes an opponent will wait behind. There’s no need to worry about him, barring a freak kick you have got him covered and he’s practically allowing your team to have a man advantage in attack. Once the other team acquires possession start backtracking. At this point they can attempt to knock the ball past you and the last thing you want to happen is to be caught napping on the halfway line. If the ball comes out to you on the halfway line just take your time and look for the right pass. If your team is desperate for a goal you can consider carrying it forward yourself, but otherwise you should try to stay in your own half because the risk of leaving an open goal is too great.

Some miscellaneous tips

• Stand still sometimes. If you’re already occupying the best position then there’s no reason to move. Sometimes an attacker is just waiting for you to move so he can find an opening.
  • Kick the ball to an opponent if you’re under pressure and need to buy some time. This move can often work well because your opponent will rush to beat you, and then you can clear his second attempt much more effectively.
  • If the shot is easy to deal with don’t hesitate to try to kick it away instantly through the gaps in their attacking line. You can counter attack very well this way.
  • If the ball gets behind you and you have an opponent up your backside don’t be afraid to run towards your own goal with the ball. Just prepare yourself for kicking it to one side and get back into position. The main objective here is to give your defence time to regroup so kick it to the position that makes your opponent have to spend time recovering the ball.
  • Sometimes you should let the other team have the ball. If you’re confident in your defence then let them come at you and you can clear their attempt and counter.

Last edited by Leroy Johnson on November 14th, 2011, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leroy Johnson

News Articles: 0

Re: Guide to playing GK in Haxball by Leroy Johnson

Postby mc smiley » November 14th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Leroy Johnson wrote:I've noticed a lot of people don't have the basics down when they're playing GK, so I might write a little guide if people want it?

Haven't you heard of 'mc smiley's ultimate guide to goalkeeping'?

World famous.

mc smiley

Postby Scirea » November 14th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Go for it, if you could do it in bullet point form that'd be appreciated, it'll make it much easier for me to go through and point out the mistakes.

Thanks

Scirea

Postby mc smiley » November 14th, 2011, 6:01 pm

In 'mc smiley's ultimate guide to winning' rule number 1 is;

1. Captains should avoid picking Scirea at all costs.

It'a short and sweet guide but it's straight to point and full of proven tips on how to win a game of haxball.

mc smiley

Postby CircleBoy » November 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm

I've never seen you play so I dont know how good you are...but I'd go for it. I'm always looking to improve.

CircleBoy

News Articles: 2

Postby Scirea » November 14th, 2011, 6:06 pm

You're just saying that because I left your quote out of my sig, I was short on space so I figured I'd just use the ones by the better players.

For the benefit of everyone else here's what he had to say:

mc smiley: "The complete haxballer - when he's fit, Scirea's the best. Some go missing but he's always in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable."

Scirea

Postby Leroy Johnson » November 14th, 2011, 6:06 pm

mc smiley wrote:
Leroy Johnson wrote:I've noticed a lot of people don't have the basics down when they're playing GK, so I might write a little guide if people want it?

Haven't you heard of 'mc smiley's ultimate guide to goalkeeping'?

World famous.

Got a link?

Leroy Johnson

Postby Gonzalo » November 14th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Scirea wrote:You're just saying that because I left your quote out of my sig, I was short on space so I figured I'd just use the ones by the better players.

For the benefit of everyone else here's what he had to say:

mc smiley: "The complete haxballer - when he's fit, Scirea's the best. Some go missing but he's always in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable."
Scirea we dont care

Gonzalo

Postby Scirea » November 14th, 2011, 6:54 pm

If you didn't care you wouldn't be reading and replying now would you?

Scirea

Postby Mick » November 14th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Scirea wrote:If you didn't care you wouldn't be reading and replying now would you?

I care. Make a gk guide so we can point out your mistakes.

On topic, (leroy) You can write the guide and some of the more expierenced keepers can go over it and offer their opinions?

Mick

Postby Leroy Johnson » November 14th, 2011, 7:09 pm

OK I will write a guide.

Leroy Johnson

Postby CircleBoy » November 14th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Scirea wrote:If you didn't care you wouldn't be reading and replying now would you?

Oh god, its a troll from the 90s

CircleBoy

Postby Leroy Johnson » November 14th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Bump, added the guide to the OP.

Leroy Johnson

Postby CircleBoy » November 14th, 2011, 10:22 pm

A mistake I think a lot of keepers (and mids) make is as soon as they get the ball they just drive foward without thinking about it. Though usualy getting the ball up the pitch is a sound startegy sometimes your team aren't in good positions yet and all you're doing by driving foward is reducing the time before an opposing player can close you down. Sometimes it pays to stand and wait just a little.

CircleBoy

Postby Cathalio11 » November 14th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Leroy, i thought that was interesting and knowledgable read actually and it made a lot of sense. I think you got the basics right and after the basics, it all depends on decisiveness and execution. Myself and 2 or 3 others would be considered the most proven defenders on the site and im sure with your mentality, you have the ability to be up there.For anyone interested, this guide is a very good guide to follow.

Cathalio11

Postby Vargo » November 15th, 2011, 3:10 pm

A good guide and interesting reading. Here's my thoughts.

Leroy Johnson wrote:
As a GK you have two major things to consider when your team is on defence – time and position. Time: What’s the best position you can get into with the time you have?

Sounds more like it's all about positioning, else you should probably elaborate this part. Timing would probably be a better word, though I'd rather say positioning, awareness and teamwork.

Leroy Johnson wrote:
When the ball is in the corner hug the inside of the goalpost.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I'd rather stand next to or outside the post as getting shot at will force a knockback and if they spam shoot you, they'll usually score. With the post at my back, I'll get knocked into the post without losing position, too much.

Leroy Johnson wrote:The worst thing you can do is let your opponents know that you’re scared to be in control of the ball

Though this is a very valid point, I must say it can be used as an advantage. If they think you don't know what to do with the ball, many opponents will rush at you while making them vulnerable for counterattacks. This does ofc require some timing and passing skill.

Leroy Johnson wrote:If you’re facing a two-on-one there isn’t much you can do should they try to pass around you. You have two choices, either close down the player in possession, or back down and cover your goal. Whichever you choose to do, two good players are going to pass around you and score so you just have to accept that you can’t always stop them. I would suggest that you base your decision on the mentality of the opponents you’re facing.

Very good advice. I'd also like to add that it's sometimes worth trying to leave the goal slightly open (just enough so you'd still be able to save) for the one in possession to taunt him into taking the shot. Reading the play is the key factor to break the pass or closing down the shooter with the right timing.

Vargo

Postby Alec Baldwin » November 15th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I am the best GK, so naturally I didn't read this thread.

Alec Baldwin

Postby deerhaunter94 » November 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Great guide! If I am not top scorer next season, you're being put on the ban list xD

deerhaunter94

Division 1 Winner: Season 1, Season 2
Cup Runner-up: Season 3

Postby Leroy Johnson » November 15th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Vargo wrote:Sounds more like it's all about positioning, else you should probably elaborate this part. Timing would probably be a better word, though I'd rather say positioning, awareness and teamwork.

Perhaps. I really wanted to emphasise how important time is in every equation though. Which player can get to the ball quickest is a massively important factor in deciding what position you should take.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I'd rather stand next to or outside the post as getting shot at will force a knockback and if they spam shoot you, they'll usually score. With the post at my back, I'll get knocked into the post without losing position, too much.

An important point to be made that is. I prefer to hug the post when it's in the corner because at that point they can't knock it past you at the inside, but as it comes towards you down the line sometimes I will push out a bit. It is extremely rare that I would let them force it past me, and when it happens it's usually because another player is affecting the tug-of-war battle.

Though this is a very valid point, I must say it can be used as an advantage. If they think you don't know what to do with the ball, many opponents will rush at you while making them vulnerable for counterattacks. This does ofc require some timing and passing skill.

Absolutely. In a random public game this is a good way to play.

Very good advice. I'd also like to add that it's sometimes worth trying to leave the goal slightly open (just enough so you'd still be able to save) for the one in possession to taunt him into taking the shot. Reading the play is the key factor to break the pass or closing down the shooter with the right timing.

I would tend to agree. These are the nuances of playing that you can only really pick up with experience. Leaving a part of the goal open is something that I wouldn't be telling any inexperienced players to do, and sometimes now I still find myself getting beat at the near post because I accidentally left a little too much daylight.

Leroy Johnson

Postby George Best » November 22nd, 2011, 12:18 pm

CircleBoy wrote:A mistake I think a lot of keepers (and mids) make is as soon as they get the ball they just drive foward without thinking about it. Though usualy getting the ball up the pitch is a sound startegy sometimes your team aren't in good positions yet and all you're doing by driving foward is reducing the time before an opposing player can close you down. Sometimes it pays to stand and wait just a little.

I have noticed one of the key qualities in top defensive players is that they take their time on the ball. Generally speaking, a striker either rushes at you straight on, meaning you can calmly angle the ball past them, or banks on closing you down at one particular angle, which can be read and avoided.

George Best

Next

Return to Tricks of the trade