A different method to calculate clean sheets..

It is what it says on the tin.

A different method to calculate clean sheets..

Postby TehBeast » July 9th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Currently, only if a goalkeeper doesn't concede a goal during the WHOLE match, it counts as a +1 clean sheet in the statistics. In my opinion this method of calculating clean sheets is a bit controversial, because it doesn't show off a true reflection of the realistic situation. For example, if you're a goalkeeper and concede a goal every match in the last minute, you won't show up in the statistics even if you've kept a clean sheet for the most minutes.

To solve this, I think a 'Percentage-of-completion'-method should be introduced to calculate the players' number of clean sheets. In short, this means the amount of clean sheets is determined by how long the goalkeeper manages to keep a clean sheet. A standard league match is 14 minutes, so if a player keeps a clean sheet for 7 minutes, he will get a +0,5 clean sheets added to the statistics. If a player keeps a clean sheet for 8 minutes, he will get 8 / 14 = +0,57 clean sheets added to the statistics, etcetera. This method of tracking statistics gives a better representation of the relative clean sheets that have been obtained.

I understand implementing a system like this might bring some issues with it (like more work to update the statistics/problems with past statistics/...). Another option is to just give +0,5 clean sheets to those who kept a clean sheet for one half, however I prefer my suggestion.

And of course if you have another suggestion, please post it here :thumbup:

TehBeast

News Articles: 0

Re: A different method to calculate clean sheets..

Postby Herna » July 9th, 2017, 5:55 pm

nicest would just to add a "conceded goals per minute" statistic for goalkeepers if anyone is interested in seeing how safe a goalkeeper really is^^

Herna

News Articles: 27

Postby Vidalo » July 9th, 2017, 6:16 pm

If the GK concede only 1 goal at 10 sec it's a bit unfair too :pale:

Vidalo

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby aeRo » July 9th, 2017, 6:24 pm

in SPHB they do GA + GAA (Goals Against + Goals Against Average) which is just how many goals you let in every 14 minutes

aeRo
Elder of da Realm

Postby saviola » July 9th, 2017, 6:45 pm

I like the idea of an average in addition to CS, but it's not possible atm because the site does not track the line-ups.

saviola

Postby Hannes » July 9th, 2017, 7:09 pm

This would mean, first minutes are more important than the following ones, doesnt make too much sense in my opinion.
More interesting are those mentioned goals per minute and a match average.

Hannes

News Articles: 26
Betting Coins: 200

Cup Runner-up: Season 4

Postby TehBeast » July 9th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Hannes wrote:This would mean, first minutes are more important than the following ones, doesnt make too much sense in my opinion.
More interesting are those mentioned goals per minute and a match average.

Atleast it makes more sense than getting a clean sheet only by not conceding a goal for the entire match. It should motivate statistic whores, like me, to keep a clean sheet for the longest possible time. On the other hand, it is possible to calculate the percentage on both halves. This means you have 2 possibilities to gain clean sheets. This also tackles the situation Vidal adressed, because in the second half you have a new chance to gain clean sheets for the statistics. For example, if you concede a goal in the 2nd minute, you will have 2 / 14 = +0,14 clean sheets. By splitting the match in two statistic wise, in the 2nd half you get a fresh start to gain another 0,5 clean sheets, so in total 0,14 + 0,50 = 0,64 clean sheets will be added to the statistics.

I also like the suggestions that are posted in this topic. Certainly the statistics could use some expansion as just clean sheets do not show a good reflection of the goalkeeper's skills.

TehBeast

Postby Lloyd Banks » July 9th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Lloyd Banks
Rap Mod

Postby Sero07 » July 10th, 2017, 8:39 am

Dont think they count 0,64 cs in real life. ( At least not shown in the real stats ;p )

Sero07

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby saviola » July 10th, 2017, 8:48 am

TehBeast wrote:For example, if you concede a goal in the 2nd minute, you will have 2 / 14 = +0,14 clean sheets. By splitting the match in two statistic wise, in the 2nd half you get a fresh start to gain another 0,5 clean sheets, so in total 0,14 + 0,50 = 0,64 clean sheets will be added to the statistics.

I generally agree with your points, but I'm not sure if the percentage CS for each half would result in meaningful statistics in the end. It will be nice numbers, but I'm not sure how much they would tell about the keeper or the team def overall. "How long after each kick-off did they concede" is not the most telling statistic imo. But nice idea, and if it was easy to add I wouldn't mind adding it. The more stats the better.

saviola

Postby Anddy » July 10th, 2017, 9:24 am

I'd rather give a CS for every half. In the past, in HBC, we've done a basic system which showed [CS / halves played].
It takes advantage of gk who not play whole match. Moreover, if a gk is subbed after playing 5 consecutives minutes in the half and the team doesn't take a single goal (even with the new gk), then the gk gets a CS.

Anddy

Postby TehBeast » July 10th, 2017, 10:20 am

Anddy wrote:I'd rather give a CS for every half. In the past, in HBC, we've done a basic system which showed [CS / halves played].
It takes advantage of gk who not play whole match. Moreover, if a gk is subbed after playing 5 consecutives minutes in the half and the team doesn't take a single goal (even with the new gk), then the gk gets a CS.

This probably is the best alternative to the method I suggested. Like Saviola stated, it might be difficult to implement a percentage of clean sheets. Therefore it might be easier to just give +0,5 clean sheets to those who don't concede in one half. In the current situation you get 0 or +1 clean sheets added to the stats, regardless if you concede a goal in the first or last minute. In my opinion, this is controversial because obviously it's not the same and goalkeepers should be rewarded for keeping a clean sheet for a longer period of time. Based on the idea I suggested, the clean sheet statistics become more accurate.

I understand Vidals point, but let's say if you concede a goal in the first 10 seconds, you would get 0 clean sheets added based on the current system. With the introduction of my system, you would still get (10 / 60) / 14 = +0,01 ( :fp: ) + 0,50 = 0,51 clean sheets added to the stats.

Just by looking at the clean sheet statistics is not enough to determine how solid a goalkeeper is. In order to get a realistic image, new statistics (like the suggestions Herna, aeRo and Hannes gave) need to be introduced. It's time-consuming, but it should be possible to create.

TehBeast

Return to League Discussion