With or Without Extrapolation?

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Do you guys prefer playing with extrapolation or without?

With extrapolation
53%
Without Extrapolation
47%

Total votes : 60

With or Without Extrapolation?

Postby aMp » April 28th, 2020, 8:37 am

I saw that this was the main subject for the past weeks and I'm asking if you guys prefer playing with Extrapolation or without?
I honestly prefer playing with 0 (sometimes for fun I play also with 40 but most of the time with 0)
and also guys, what do you think about removing the Extrapolation?

You are defined by two things:
The patience when you've got nothing.
and the attitude when you've got everything.
aMp

News Articles: 0

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Re: With or Without Extrapolation?

Postby moti » April 28th, 2020, 9:09 am

The game without extrapolation is completly different and i have more fun playing with extra.I dont know how there is a player who play without extrapolation rly. :scratch:

moti

Postby supermazhine » April 28th, 2020, 9:20 am

with out extra players will have more fun and the game will be like flash the firest ssn of html was nice this extra Chang the game so much. :bounce:

supermazhine

Position: Forward

Postby Hannes » April 28th, 2020, 9:22 am

moti wrote:The game without extrapolation is completly different and i have more fun playing with extra.I dont know how there is a player who play without extrapolation rly. :scratch:

Why should i make my game "laggy" on purpose

Hannes

News Articles: 28
Betting Coins: 200

Cup Runner-up: Season 4

Postby LaggerMet » April 28th, 2020, 9:24 am

Hannes wrote:
moti wrote:The game without extrapolation is completly different and i have more fun playing with extra.I dont know how there is a player who play without extrapolation rly. :scratch:

Why should i make my game "laggy" on purpose

because u want to show everyone your MAD corner skills by staying in the corner the entire match and forcing a draw, of course!

LaggerMet

Postby chuck d fresh » April 28th, 2020, 9:47 am

I play with extra (about 60), but I would be happy if basro'd delete extra.

LaggerMet words are true.

chuck d fresh

Postby SuarezN7 » April 28th, 2020, 10:02 am

I feel slow like a truck without extrapolation and right now the more you increase it the more responsive the movement becomes. Sadly it seems this issue will never be fixed, so we are stuck with high shaky extra.

SuarezN7

News Articles: 1

Postby jasko » April 28th, 2020, 10:33 am

I don't think you asked the right question. I think everyone who ever tried playing with extrapolation prefers playing with it as it makes you faster, more responsive and helps with delays that a lot of us have. So I'd say I prefer playing with extrapolation as it helps me a bit overall, but if I were to choose haxball with extrapolation and haxball without extrapolation I'd definitely go with 0. It changed the game a lot, made it more robotic, boring, simple and it looks like shit once you start going above 50 (shaky, laggy).

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
jasko

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby ImpeCabLe » April 28th, 2020, 11:21 am

To be honest, extrapolation helped a lot of players gain more control of the ball and learn more skills. When I was playing back in the days, few players could manage to do a 2k or to have such a control in corner or overall using the wall and I'm happy to see players growing with this little extrapolation help.

This extrapolation thing is fine but also when we are speaking about a competition and that some of the players are able to increase the value of this extrapolation, they automatically have an advantage over others and this is not fair in any ways. I'm fine on using that in fs's or other public games but not in a league (if you allow me, I can compare this to macro which allows other players to have an advantage, basically is the same thing).

If could only be something like a command which can block the extrapolation, for all players from a lobby when an official game is played, it will be amazing (I will agree with that) but also I don't agree with deleting it from the game. I mentioned above why.

So my vote was without extrapolation but only on official matches not entirely deleting from the game.

Cheers,

RESPECT
To get it, you must give it.
ImpeCabLe

Postby GirlontaR » April 28th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Changed the maximum value of extrapolation to 50ms. This feature has been quite a controversial feature and while I don't believe it gives players any advantage it was also never meant to be used with values higher than this anyway.

Edit: The negative reception to the extrapolation limit was stronger than I expected so I’m reverting those changes. (told by barso in his news blog https://blog.haxball.com/)

This was a great update but after that, ppl for some reason bitched about it and barso just had to add back the 200ms max extrapolation because there were too much negative feedback.
To this day i belive that this is one of the biggest mistake if not the biggest barso has made as we could have got rid of extrapolation by going lower every update or every 1-3 months)

GirlontaR

Postby Rijar » April 28th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Guys it's all about habit, it's the same thing. Obviously the more you get used to a greater (extrapolation), the more you make better

Rijar

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby Ferg » April 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm

For me using extrapolation is better than not using any, yes it helps you with some stuff, but its controllable. People of not using extrapolation sometimes even complain when other people use too high, well start using it too if it gives advantage right?

My point is, basro made extrapolation to make the game easier for the new players in the game.

Ferg

Postby Hakut » April 28th, 2020, 1:10 pm

:fp:

Hakut

Postby jasko » April 28th, 2020, 1:11 pm

GirlontaR wrote:Changed the maximum value of extrapolation to 50ms. This feature has been quite a controversial feature and while I don't believe it gives players any advantage it was also never meant to be used with values higher than this anyway.

Edit: The negative reception to the extrapolation limit was stronger than I expected so I’m reverting those changes. (told by barso in his news blog https://blog.haxball.com/)

This was a great update but after that, ppl for some reason bitched about it and barso just had to add back the 200ms max extrapolation because there were too much negative feedback.
To this day i belive that this is one of the biggest mistake if not the biggest barso has made as we could have got rid of extrapolation by going lower every update or every 1-3 months)

well, if only it weren't for guys like pedy, krol and pkp, crying on fm and github without arguments to increase extrapolation back to 200...

edit : viewtopic.php?f=188&t=8927&p=80149#p80149 just look at the "discussion" in this topic

Rijar wrote:Guys it's all about habit, it's the same thing. Obviously the more you get used to a greater (extrapolation), the more you make better

well, according to basro himself, extrapolation doesn't give advantage in any way. :D

Ferg wrote:For me using extrapolation is better than not using any, yes it helps you with some stuff, but its controllable. People of not using extrapolation sometimes even complain when other people use too high, well start using it too if it gives advantage right?

My point is, basro made extrapolation to make the game easier for the new players in the game.

not everyone wants their game to look like a potato and even then the ones who tryhard will be prepared to sacrifice the way the game looks and behaves for any kind of advantage (we can see that with extrapolation and macro)

Last edited by jasko on April 28th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
jasko

Postby KROL » April 28th, 2020, 1:33 pm

jasko wrote:
well, if only it weren't for guys like pedy, krol and pkp, crying on fm and github without arguments to increase extrapolation back to 200...

My apologise to all feedme members - if I didint make these 150 posts on github we would have a beautiful game now with 50 extra max

my bad

KROL

Postby Barca » April 28th, 2020, 1:56 pm

i dont know actually

Barca

News Articles: 4

Postby Pedy » April 28th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Extrapolation is one of the things that ruined the game and i was a fool for being against the 50 extrapolation change HOWEVER, the whole reason why basro reverted back to it, is because it is actually possible to bypass the 50 extrapolation limit as shown by a member here already in feed me and basro did not want to encourage that. That change would not have lasted anyway. The only solution is to remove extrapolation completely from the game.

Pedy

Postby huub » April 28th, 2020, 2:49 pm

I have played without any extra till a few weeks ago, because I dont see the point in playing a full lagged game, but its just far too slow vs ppl who have a high one, so using max 30 for now. Seems to be still reasonable with not too crazy amount of lag in exchange.

huub

Postby B4D4SS » April 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm

If everybody else is using Extrapolation, I must use it to keep up, I hate doing that but you have no choice.

I wish extrapolation never existed and everybody was on 0.

B4D4SS

Postby B4D4SS » April 28th, 2020, 3:36 pm

By the way guys there is a solution to Extrapolation Haxball:

Ask basro to have a function where you can SEE the number of Extrapolation people are using, the same way you can see everybody's ping number.

Then the league can make a rule saying 0 Extrapolation in officials, simple.

B4D4SS

Next

Return to General Haxball Discussion