How do you get better at haxball.com?

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

How do you get better at haxball.com?

Postby aeRo » October 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm

Yo nerds, I'm bored at work and can't go home for an hour.

I consider myself a pretty bang average player on haxball who can play any position at a mediocre standard. I feel I can fit in fine with good players, I can't really 'carry' games and boy do I baby kick a lot. I've been involved in the game for a long long time now and have seen guys come in fresh, get a basic understanding of the game and stay at a certain level for a while and then out of nowhere get to a very good level in a relatively short period of time.

Haxball is, in my opinion, 90% mentality - nobody's haxball circle can do anything different to anyone else's. Positioning, decision making, anticipation and understanding of teammates are probably enough to get you to a decent standard of play if not a very high level. The only things which help outside of that are things like reaction speed and muscle memory for lifts/dubs. With that in mind, I am more interested in the mental aspect of the game than the play brainlessly everyday so you feel 'warm' all the time side.

Recently I've been watching replays of Division 1 games to see how strong teams play and then watching replays of myself (lmao im embarrassingly bad) to see any glaring differences. I sit in the 'free for fs' channel when I wanna practice but this often means I don't get to pick my position. I ask people I see as high level players who I've known for a while for advice. If I'm really bored/keen I'll practice my control on my own in a closed room. Despite putting in what I see as a fair amount of effort in to a game as simple as haxball, I don't feel I get much better.

My dream scenario is having a group of 4-6 mates on to fs with most days and watch replays together and improve as a team but haxball is just a dying browser based game and I'm a young adult with a full time job.

Now I know a massive factor in how good you will be is how good the team you play with is, this is a team based game after all. What have you guys done in the past, or are doing now, which has helped you to improve?

tl;dr - how do I get from med to high+ on haxball?

aeRo
Elder of da Realm

News Articles: 0

Re: How do you get better at haxball.com?

Postby Allen » October 23rd, 2018, 4:09 pm

im guessing that's a troll, gj.

but for the small chance you are for real, here's what i do.
wake up at 4 at the morning, eat 5 eggs, dont cook them or anything, eat it with the shell.
then poke akram to go fs cause he is playing all night long.(WARNING!: IF PKP POKES YOU AND SAYS: "HI FS?" IGNORE, THAT'S A TRAP!)
go to the gym at 10 am, train your fingers, jump with your fingers, lift with your fingers, finger yourself with your fingers.
you'll be home by 18:00 pm exactly, once you get home, play haxball, Asian rooms are the best cause asians are better than normal people at games, play with asians till 2:00
am.
then go to the gym for your fingers, this time its a small session, so just finger yourself.
then you will have 1 hour to sleep and repeat what i wrote everyday.

(i personally never tried this training cause its too rough, but i heard a lot of people did, gl.)

Allen

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby tSharky » October 23rd, 2018, 4:36 pm

Real men use macro to get better!

tSharky

Postby aeRo » October 23rd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Allen wrote:im guessing that's a troll, gj.

wake up at 4 at the morning, eat 5 eggs, dont cook them or anything, eat it with the shell.
then poke akram to go fs cause he is playing all night long.(WARNING!: IF PKP POKES YOU AND SAYS: "HI FS?" IGNORE, THAT'S A TRAP!)
go to the gym at 10 am, train your fingers, jump with your fingers, lift with your fingers, finger yourself with your fingers.
you'll be home by 18:00 pm exactly, once you get home, play haxball, Asian rooms are the best cause asians are better than normal people at games, play with asians till 2:00
am.
then go to the gym for your fingers, this time its a small session, so just finger yourself.

(i personally never tried this training cause its too rough, but i heard a lot of people did, gl.)

It's not trolling, I do really want to get better!

Thank for the advice though Allen, I will try when I have some time off work :thumbup:

aeRo
Elder of da Realm

Postby Unique » October 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

you need to call Sven Bender.. he knows the secret!

Unique

Postby VENOM i7 » October 23rd, 2018, 5:24 pm

l0l aero m8 if ur feeling slow just watch dis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkoegM9HQE and sniff a 0.5 and ur redy to go :thumbup:

VENOM i7

Position: Forward

Postby DEVS_VVLT » October 23rd, 2018, 5:59 pm

aeRo wrote:Yo nerds, I'm bored at work and can't go home for an hour.

I consider myself a pretty bang average player on haxball who can play any position at a mediocre standard. I feel I can fit in fine with good players, I can't really 'carry' games and boy do I baby kick a lot. I've been involved in the game for a long long time now and have seen guys come in fresh, get a basic understanding of the game and stay at a certain level for a while and then out of nowhere get to a very good level in a relatively short period of time.

Haxball is, in my opinion, 90% mentality - nobody's haxball circle can do anything different to anyone else's. Positioning, decision making, anticipation and understanding of teammates are probably enough to get you to a decent standard of play if not a very high level. The only things which help outside of that are things like reaction speed and muscle memory for lifts/dubs. With that in mind, I am more interested in the mental aspect of the game than the play brainlessly everyday so you feel 'warm' all the time side.

Recently I've been watching replays of Division 1 games to see how strong teams play and then watching replays of myself (lmao im embarrassingly bad) to see any glaring differences. I sit in the 'free for fs' channel when I wanna practice but this often means I don't get to pick my position. I ask people I see as high level players who I've known for a while for advice. If I'm really bored/keen I'll practice my control on my own in a closed room. Despite putting in what I see as a fair amount of effort in to a game as simple as haxball, I don't feel I get much better.

My dream scenario is having a group of 4-6 mates on to fs with most days and watch replays together and improve as a team but haxball is just a dying browser based game and I'm a young adult with a full time job.

Now I know a massive factor in how good you will be is how good the team you play with is, this is a team based game after all. What have you guys done in the past, or are doing now, which has helped you to improve?

tl;dr - how do I get from med to high+ on haxball?

git gud

DEVS_VVLT

Postby Herna » October 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

Spoiler: Show
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtwESpwsmhE[/youtube]

I'm not really in the position to give advice to someone like you, but I guess it's more talent and mental stability that is lacking for me than the things you are talking about. I think those who become really nice players all have in common that when they play, they take full responsibility over a teams win or loss, no matter if it is a league match or in a public room, mostly when they play, no matter what their teammates are, they will win more than they lost and play a lot.
I know from myself that i improved so much once i stopped just caring about doing my job as GK, but made my own team and went into every fs in league match thinking that lose or win is in my hands alone. If you challenge yourself more and more then by playing with and against better players I guess that will do it.

Herna

News Articles: 27

Postby lsco » October 23rd, 2018, 7:33 pm

I guess the best way to get better is watching some recs and learning from other players..
Since i know my technique isnt great, i always try to read the game and be 1 step ahead of my opponents.

lsco

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby Sven Bender » October 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

aeRo wrote:
Allen wrote:im guessing that's a troll, gj.

am.

It's not trolling, I do really want to get better!

Thank for the advice though Allen, I will try when I have some time off work :thumbup:

IM OUT OF PRISON BITCH WATCH OUT :ovo: :cheers:

Sven Bender

Postby Mey » October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 pm

well i guess to be good in this game u have to be either islamic or jew, or in certain cases from PORTUGAL

Mey

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby Yawn » October 24th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Meyer1 wrote:well i guess to be good in this game u have to be either islamic or jew, or in certain cases from PORTUGAL

So with other words: 95% of the hax population has the possibility to become good

Yawn

Postby beni » October 24th, 2018, 4:43 pm

ice cold showers chief, increases blood flow and builds a killer mentality

as allen alluded to earlier, wake up at 4am everyday. while you're sleeping all the elite players are practicing and getting better

if possible, sell 90% of your possessions. you're from a middle class background and you've had it easy all your life. you need to simulate the conditions of a favela/slum settlement, where people who have nothing have to fight for everything as if their lives depend on it.

we will discuss this further at a later date

beni

Postby Maddude » October 24th, 2018, 6:36 pm

lol no hope for u u useless prat

Co-Founder of Feed Me Community!
Maddude
Elder of da Realm

News Articles: 4

Division 1 Winner: Every time except once
Cup Runner-up: Never
Division 2 Winner: Just the once
Cup Winner: Every time

Postby Mey » October 25th, 2018, 8:50 am

Yawn wrote:
Meyer1 wrote:well i guess to be good in this game u have to be either islamic or jew, or in certain cases from PORTUGAL

So with other words: 95% of the hax population has the possibility to become good

Dunno why i wrote it.. by islamic i meant the kebabs

Mey

Postby Zoro1 » October 25th, 2018, 9:53 am

Firstly, I would suggest you to check out / update your general screen settings. Before the game begins, you need to make sure that you are playing in the best condition. For this, try to ask good players about their screen settings when they go in hax, and compare it with yours to see what is actually different. I was too late to find my best settings in my carrier, that was a huge timewaste surely. But still, did anything change when I found the best options? Nah. I'm still playing bad. (For example: as much as you decrease the screen resolution, gameplay becomes more easier since the avatars are becoming bigger.)

That was the technical part surely. When you find your best settings and save them, you need to start improving your skills as a haxball player. The best way for it is definitely watching records. This works for literally everything. Best way to learn is watching high elo plays imo, you know.

Zoro1

Postby LEXAL » October 25th, 2018, 10:21 am

LEXAL

Postby lsco » October 25th, 2018, 11:38 am

Vrank wrote:Firstly, I would suggest you to check out / update your general screen settings. Before the game begins, you need to make sure that you are playing in the best condition. For this, try to ask good players about their screen settings when they go in hax, and compare it with yours to see what is actually different. I was too late to find my best settings in my carrier, that was a huge timewaste surely. But still, did anything change when I found the best options? Nah. I'm still playing bad. (For example: as much as you decrease the screen resolution, gameplay becomes more easier since the avatars are becoming bigger.)

That was the technical part surely. When you find your best settings and save them, you need to start improving your skills as a haxball player. The best way for it is definitely watching records. This works for literally everything. Best way to learn is watching high elo plays imo, you know.

I must agree, I really dont know how ppl are able to play with the default settings.
I mean without zooming in the haxball screen I would probably quit the game.
idk what kind of settings are u using james, but i recommend that you should start zooming in ur browser while playing and see if it gets better.
choose different kind of camera views and see which movement is better for you, (i found out that each one of them is really different).
also changing ur screen resolution might help, personally i dont do that but i know that it might be helpful.
also before i got a new monitor i used to have a really bad one with only 60fps, with the new one i get 144fps and its much better than playing with 60.

lsco

Postby Pedy » November 5th, 2018, 1:20 pm

After taking a few years of layoff, I am finding it difficult to play the game mechanically.
In my opinion there are 2 areas in haxball, the macro and the micro.
Mechanics falls under micro, to improve in this area you might want to check if you're playing with the right settings and if you are comfortable with your keyboard (I still am not used to the keyboard that i currently have) and look at playing more 1 on 1's or just practicing in classic more.
Most players however have decent mechanics but not as good of a macro game. Ask yourself if you're doing all the necessary things to help your teammates.

1) Are you passing fast?
2) How is your pressure off the ball
3) Are you utilizing blocks to help create space for your teammates? If yes how much
4) Do you have an idea of what to do before you recieve the ball?
5) How is your movement? Are you doing allot of horizontal movements? What about vertical?
6) How is your awareness? Do you make the right passes?

Pedy

Postby B4D4SS » November 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I think a lot of it is simply natural talent. 99% of players will never as skilled as Tortogol IMO, even if they keep playing and practicing, they wont have the potential. Although I do think you can improve your skill and reach your own glass ceiling simply from playing officials I find this gradually happens in my experience.

What players can dramatically improve in though is vision/positioning IMO. Both for defence and offense. Tons of players/teams are making defensive errors and that is obvious by 2v1s being frequent and defences not holding up. Even when teams get cleansheets, the opppnents usually had a few goal chances from defensive mistakes. Also offensively most ST's miss a lot of midfield blocks that could've created them 2v1's, Catrice is really good at this and that's why he's won the HCL so many times with average skills, along with his decision making in attack.

So yeah I think vision/positioning/decision making (which is 95% of Hax) can be improved quicker than skills, and done by watching recs focusing on 1 player who's really good in your position, and watch them on and off the ball so you see how they position depending on what's happening. See what works well and then put that positioning/decision making into your own game. Lastly, ALWAYS be open minded to the ways others play, if they do something different to you don't assume it must be wrong, see if it works from evidence in the rec then decide, they could know something that you don't.

B4D4SS

Next

Return to General Haxball Discussion