Asked Basro about the html5 updates and what to expect!

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Asked Basro about the html5 updates and what to expect!

Postby OffSync » November 16th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I posted it in the troll thread I opened, since this is quite interesting I opened a new one so noone misses it!

I wasn't sure about the changes so I asked Basro on reddit about the updates, he replied fast, seems like a really nice and cool dude:

Is the replay feature hard to implement? That seems like the biggest issue for us, we cant use html5 in the league since replays are the best proof of a match.

Basro wrote:Yes, it is pretty hard. It's the most complex of the remaining missing flash features. I hope I'll have it implemented sometime in december.

Is anything different in the physics of the game? Do you think the gameplay changed? We have different opinions, some say its different, some say its the same. I for one think its the same, we only feel a difference because of the much better netcode and how smooth it is.

Basro wrote:The physics are the same, I guarantee this since the code hasn't changed.

Haxball was 30 tick as far as I know, is it still 30?

Basro wrote:HaxBall internal logic has always run at 60hz, it still does in the html5 version.

Did the netcode use interpolation or something similar before? Does it now?

Basro wrote:No, there's no interpolation in the netcode now or then. Which is why you see objects immediately teleport to a different location when there's lag. Interpolation would smooth that out but I find it hurts more than it helps since it delays the information you are actually interested in (the real position of the ball).

Does html5 give you tools to better deal with latency issues?

Basro wrote:Yes, html5's WebRTC has considerable advantages over what is available in flash RTMFP.
In flash network events are handled in sync with the screen updates. Meaning that when a network message arrives it might add 1/60th of a second of additional latency before my code even gets to see it. This happened in both the host and the client so it would add about 33msecs of lag. In html5 my code is notified immediately when a new message has arrived.
There's some other advantages of webrtc, like supporting multiple data channels with different message reliability. But they aren't as significant as the message latency fix.
HaxBall netcode itself is also improved in ways unrelated to WebRTC or RTMFP, these improvements also reduce latency and make the netplay more stable when there's lag spikes or packet loss.

OffSync

News Articles: 0

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Re: Asked Basro about the html5 updates and what to expect!

Postby OffSync » November 16th, 2017, 9:39 pm

OffSync

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Re: Asked Basro about the html5 updates and what to expect!

Postby Unique » November 17th, 2017, 10:43 pm

what happend to basro lol.. he became active all of a sudden..

Unique

Return to General Haxball Discussion