Tactical leak - aN's way to division 2 & 1 championship

Talk about haxball in here, maps, sides, players, tactics, anything related to the game.

Tactical leak - aN's way to division 2 & 1 championship

Postby Kivi » October 8th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Hello,

After the huge roster and tactical change of the team archNemeses, I've decided to leak the tactic(-al minds) behind the success which I've created with the impact of Barca. This topic will especially specify the offense and I won't go in detail at the defense.

The team was build around Barca, who was the "mastermind" in this whole system. Usually, it is not a good idea to make a team dependent on their DM but in this case, it actually was. The ability from Barca to have a strong spam and a good vision were the key to make the play. In this case, archNemeses will be red

Offense

Basics

When archNemeses were accepted into the league, we tried to figure out how we should play. We had Storm as a DM, Barca as an AM and Pray & me as strikers (remember, Alekos wasn't in the team yet). It didn't work out pretty well. Storm was inconsistent in his playstyle and made huge fails which gave the opponent team the opportunity to score. So, we tried to make a change. Barca played DM, Storm played AM and we've directly seen a huge improvement. Barca's individual class was in this case just a huge bonus for our fast development.

We've played the basic triangle with an aggressive GK:

Patient play

On our road to both championships, we've faced teams who made huge pressure on our DM by nearly blocking him completely. Many inpatient teams without experience would make a backpass anyway, thats what we've done sometimes too (because we were inpatient too) and we lost the ball. So, we just thought: "What are we doing wrong in this case?" In this case, we've decided to annoy the opponents team by holding the ball extremely annoying in the corner. The bonus was, that the guy holding the line close to the GK pushed the guy in the corner and in almost every case the guy who blocked the DM was getting forced to fall back (if not, it was almost everytime a goal for us created by individual performances in the corner).

Double corner setup

I was fascinated by the way "Meh Squirrel" won against us in division 2. The czechs (DD) and MS were the first teams we've played against who literally played double corner. You might understand something else under "double corner", so I thought I would visualize it for you to understand what I mean.

Many people would say "Why is this so special? You have a lot map control for backpasses?". I'll give you the reason. While you backpass to the DM, the opponents have already rotated back to their common position to "park the bus". This makes it literally impossible to score if the team which plays double corner are playing on a high level. So, what I've invented to aN was a counter against it. It was something teams were not used to it and teams didn't counter it in any way.

To give you further understanding: archNemeses had never the idea to play a lot "passing" around the DM but I'll go more into detail later.
The mission of the guy who's blocking the support player of the opponent is to shoot the ball back to the corner, making the opponent inpatient and he obviously should annoy him:

Triangle Setup in another way

Many teams have already noticed, archNemeses isn't playing the usual triangle passing setup which is used by almost every good team. Barca was never known for his ability to make fast passes but I've discovered something with Alekos when he joined our team. He was striker and we actually made him to an AM but his positioning was the key.
Remember, this is just an example of our gameplay and an idealization!!!

Alekos never cared to backup the DM and that was the point we discovered our playstyle. We adapted that and we went fully into it. The idea behind: "Why should we play like everyone else around the opponents when we can play between them?". And that's what we've actually done. If possible, Barca searched always the pass between the opponents. The mission of the offensive players: Try to find the gap and make yourself ready for a pass between the opponents. After the succesfull pass, the offensive player who actually got the ball has to pass it to the guy in front of the goal to make a finish. Obviously, there was not always the gap where Barca could pass so we just went to the basics. Passing around, playing a bit in the corner and slowly but steady forcing the opponents to a fail.

Big shoutouts to @socrates and @saviola (creator of the tool?) , @aguero10 (Who was the only one realizing what we were doing and who found a solution against it in a fs!)

For any kind of defense tips and tricks, watch the replays of archNemeses (championship seasons), Seeders and YeS Allstars which nearly had the same kind of gameplay in the defense.

I hope I could give you a good vision on what we've done there. I really want to encourage players and teams to use their brain more often instead of pressing the x/space-key blindly, because the space for different ideas and tactics is still huge and NO ONE has to play the same kind of way! The skill gap between division 2 and division 1 is way to huge, not because division 2 players are way underskilled, more likely because they don't use their brain when they're playing (and making mistakes because of that). I would really appreciate a positive reputation to know that this helped you for a better understanding of the game. I might go another analysis if I see that you like this one.

Get better, good luck!

Sincerely. Kivi.

Kivi

News Articles: 0

Position: Forward

Re: Tactical leak - aN's way to division 2 & 1 championship

Postby Barca » October 8th, 2016, 7:12 pm

FUCK

Barca

News Articles: 4

Position: Defensive Midfielder

Postby jalapeno » October 8th, 2016, 7:20 pm

why did nobody tell me that we had tactics?

:no:

:thumbup:
jalapeno

News Articles: 1

Division 1 Winner: Season 5

Postby Kivi » October 8th, 2016, 7:23 pm

jalapeno wrote:why did nobody tell me that we had tactics?

:no:

It was not necessary :x

Kivi

Postby Princé » October 8th, 2016, 7:35 pm

respect to pray

Princé

Postby Caccapupu » October 8th, 2016, 8:07 pm

hi, thanks for sharing with us.
do you know if i can win hcl with that or am i a lost cause?
thanks again

Caccapupu

Position: Goalkeeper

Postby Kivi » October 8th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Caccapupu wrote:hi, thanks for sharing with us.
thanks again

In combination with adderall and cocaine it might be possible.

Kivi

Postby Barca » October 8th, 2016, 8:42 pm

try out moloko with it always win!!!

Barca

Postby Lloyd Banks » October 8th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Hi,

does this work for blue team also?

Thanks in advance,
your friend Lloyd.

Lloyd Banks
Rap Mod

Postby chuckdog » October 8th, 2016, 9:44 pm

chuckdog

Postby Jai » October 9th, 2016, 9:36 am

cronaldo best defender in haxball

Jai

Postby Falk » October 9th, 2016, 10:34 am

thanks again

Yeah, stay in the trash bin you garbage player and stop putting teams back from winning it.

But again the only thing you can do is play with tut or pablo if you wanna cheat your way to win it.

Falk

Position: Attacking Midfielder

Postby Hannes » October 9th, 2016, 11:18 am

oh yea, now i remember winning it multiple times.

Hannes

News Articles: 27
Betting Coins: 200

Cup Runner-up: Season 4

Postby Falk » October 9th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Hannes wrote:oh yea, now i remember winning it multiple times.

you got ur garbage team straight outta trash bin to CL for some fucked up reasons and even got to qualifiers, i wouldn't be shocked if u guys make it to the finals next time.

Falk

Postby Chro » October 9th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Falk wrote:
Hannes wrote:oh yea, now i remember winning it multiple times.

you got ur garbage team straight outta trash bin to CL for some fucked up reasons and even got to qualifiers, i wouldn't be shocked if u guys make it to the finals next time.

Apart from the reason how Pablo managed to play HCL, you gotta give credit where credit is due. Pablo had a solid hcl campaign and lost in overtime against the current finalist. They managed to become 1st in a group among Skins (another hcl finalist), Costa del Sol (5F, your team) and Invincible. I had seen the match against PdN and they were sweating like pigs. =)))

Chro

Postby Caccapupu » October 9th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Falk wrote:
thanks again

Yeah, stay in the trash bin you garbage player and stop putting teams back from winning it.

But again the only thing you can do is play with tut or pablo if you wanna cheat your way to win it.

I completly agree 100%.
Yesterday before sleeping I prayed to god that Herna would become HCL admin, so he can cheat as he always does and make tut win hcl.
thanks for your hint I hope it will work (maybe you should also pray to odin or whoever is the god in your viking lands to make you a coherent person :heart: )

Caccapupu

Postby Lloyd Banks » October 9th, 2016, 3:59 pm

MrP is Basro

#exposed

Lloyd Banks
Rap Mod

Postby Maddude » October 9th, 2016, 9:48 pm

or you can similarly play like this and give yourself seat sores from playing such long boring matches

http://haxrec.com/123519

Co-Founder of Feed Me Community!
Maddude
Elder of da Realm

Division 1 Winner: Every time except once
Cup Runner-up: Never
Division 2 Winner: Just the once
Cup Winner: Every time

Postby B4D4SS » October 10th, 2016, 3:58 pm

'I really want to encourage players and teams to use their brain more often instead of pressing the x/space-key blindly'

putting the ball in the corner cus ur not good enough to score isnt making the game any more tactical or thoughtful, it actually dumbs down the game completely. why not figure out how to score against a defence like that instead? u know use ur brain like ur telling other teams to do.

B4D4SS

Postby Yannex » October 10th, 2016, 4:04 pm

B4D4SS wrote:'I really want to encourage players and teams to use their brain more often instead of pressing the x/space-key blindly'

putting the ball in the corner cus ur not good enough to score isnt making the game any more tactical or thoughtful, it actually dumbs down the game completely. why not figure out how to score against a defence like that instead? u know use ur brain like ur telling other teams to do.

question..
wont it be easier to start attacking from the opponent half instead of using you brain in mid line to try tricks someone or outplay them?
cause let me tell you from experience.. 95% of the time you'll try to do something from mid line will end up giving the ball to the opponent :afro:

Yannex

Next

Return to General Haxball Discussion